Primo

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Primo by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Generate citation on multiple pinned items

Our users make heavy use of the generate citation button, but they currently have to do this one record at a time. It would make things easier for them if they could pin all the relevant items, and then go into My Account, select all their pinned items, and generate a citation for all of them.

They can currently perform several actions by batch on all pinned items - email results, export to Refworks and so on - but the generate citation action is not yet available to them.

The citation that appears could be simply plaint text, with the…

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. account request date

Add the request's date on the user's account

We would like that the user can see the date when he makes a request (hold or ILL) on his account.

We think that's will be an improvement for the users.

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Remove the character limit for the Resource Recommender Description field

Currently, there is either no limit or a large limit on the Description field of the Resource Recommender when files are uploaded from Excel.

However, if you open an existing Recommender to edit something (fix a typo, add additional keywords, update a URL), you are not permitted to save unless the Description field has fewer than 300 characters. This means I opt not to fix my typos, and I have to spend the time to rewrite the description to fit into <= 300 characters in order to update a URL. I find this limitation very frustrating.

Please either remove or…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. We couldn't link a digital object to a reading list from our repository (DSpace).

We found it very interesting that PRIMO could link a digital object from our DSpace repository to a reading list.

Currently, this is only possible if we add the citation to the repository in ALMA and it is generating repeated references (since it collects our DSpace).
    It would be desirable that Primo to be able to view citations from reading lists that are not in the Alma repository.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow Primo to comply with the "force password change on next login" setting in Alma for internal users

Alma has the internal user setting "Force password change on next login". Primo does not comply with this setting, so there is no way to force patrons to change their passwords in Primo. This is problematic, because our internal user accounts have a very insecure default password initially set for them. Please consider implementing this feature for Primo

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. New books link in Primo home page

We would love seeing in the Primo home page link to new books added to the collection. after developing the new book facet it'll be easier to implement this feature using the data added to the PNX.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add ability to change default sort for results

I would like to change the default sort for one of our views from Relevance to Date-newest. Our library has a lot of grey literature which is not handled appropriately by the Relevance sort.

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add facets into the Collection Discovery UI

While we are really happy that the functionality to search withing collections is planned, we propose to implement the facets also for the Collection Discovery.

Facets are very useful to limit results in big collections for discovery and browsing, when the user doesn't know exactly what he is looking for. We do have several big collections.
    Also, functionality would be more consistent with the Primo Search interface.

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make hyphenated compound searchable as closed compound

Hyphenated compounds are indexed for search as open compounds in Primo when "remove hyphens" option is enabled.

In German language it is also very common to concatenate them as closed compounds, thus creating a single word without spaces or hyphens. This variant should be indexed for search as well.

Example:
    "Passagen-Werk" (hyphenated compound)
    • at the moment also finds "Passagen Werk" (open compound) when "remove hyphens" option is enabled
    • at the moment does not find "Passagenwerk" (closed compound) but should be able to find this!!

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. An option to move the send-to section in Primo VE

We would like to be able to control the location of the send-to section in the Primo VE full record display.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Display all blocks and patron limits in Primo My Account

The My Account page in Primo only displays blocks of the blocks tab in the Alma user details page so that a patron who logs in Primo and unsuccessfully attemps to renew an item from the library isn’t notified about blocks that are applied based on patron limits/ library-definied rules such as maximum cash limit. The My Account page should display all blocks.

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. new option/checkbox: "expand my results with synonyms"

The Primo Search Engine includes synonyms by default to expand the result list. This often leads to results which are fuzzy and hardly explainable.

Instead of including synonyms by default we want to see an option to include synonyms by explicit user decision.

This option ("expand my result using synonyms") could be included into the facets section or should be visible close to the search button.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add filter for "Available Now" (i.e. not checked out etc.) to Availability filter/facet

The Availability filter/facet in Primo VE currently includes options to limit by "Available online" and "Held by library". It would be helpful if these options could be further refined to enable filtering to materials that are actually currently fully available/accessible -- for example, not checked out to another user or in another out-of-library processing status. This is functionality that I see in other library catalogs, especially for electronic resources/ebook collections.

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →
  14. Add Show Actions icons to My Favorites

Option to add all the Show Actions icons to display on My Favorites, or at least some icons such as the print and e-mail icons, instead of just the ...

Please see screen capture attached.

80 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. • Records without a date at the bottom of results list when sorting on date oldest

At this moment, the sort option “Date oldest” displays the records without a date on top of the results list. This is confusing and not relevant for users; when there are several records without a Creation Date they probably conclude that sorting on date oldest doesn’t work. Our request is to display the records without a date always at the bottom of the results list when a sort option on date is used (thus as well for date oldest as for date newest)

79 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Browse by physical location in Primo

In Primo, it is not currently possible to browse by physical location & in our previous system, we were able to do so. For instance, from http://primo.rollins.edu/primolibrary/libweb/action/search.do?fn=showBrowse&mode=BrowseSearch&vid=01RC&tab=bookstab&dscnt=0&dstmp=1467208388734 we would like to have the option to browse by one of our locations, for instance For example, I would like to see what titles we have in Rare Special or Rare Florida Collections, but I do not see from the browse menu.

we would like to be able to somehow browse by a given physical location in Primo without doing a keyword or title search for a particular item.

78 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the New Primo UI more CSS friendly

While the new Primo interface gave us more power to extend functionality via JavaScript it does not do the same for modifications via CSS due to the lack of properly marked up content.

In some parts of the New UI the content is well described, often with custom HTML elements, but there are also many places, often in the higher levels in the DOM tree, where better described selectors (preferably through classes) are needed.

For example, there is currently no selector that show the current system that is being displayed. The <prm-explore>-element could have the current system being shown as…

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Only show "starts with" for relevant fields

Currently, the "starts with" functionality is only available for title searching. There are already some posts here about adding it for other fields, like call number and subject, which I support. This post is about the current behavior though. If I choose to search by another field, such as author/creator or subject, then the next dropdown allows me to choose "starts with" even though it's not available, and it immediately switches to a title search. I'd prefer that, if a user has selected a field other than Title, that "starts with" just wouldn't show up at all. If the task…

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop the difference in the item display between Alma and Primo when the description field is filled in

I would like to see all monograph items display as such in the Primo location tab.
    Currently if an item (even if tagged elsewhere as a one time monograph) contains anything in the Items description field Primo is treating the item as a serial.
    For an explanation of how Primo does this see the following knowledge center article: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/KnowledgeArticles/DifferenceintheitemdisplaybetweenAlmaandPrimowhenthedescriptionfieldisfilledin

This is a problem as it prevents users from easily seeing the availability information.
    See for example the attached screenshot where the number of available…

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Search within results"

We would like to propose a "Search within results" option for Primo. "Search within results" would be a keyword search across all fields present in a user's results list. This is an option offered in common databases, such as Web of Science, so it is something users expect. We feel this search function would increase Primo's usability particularly for inexperienced users.

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base