RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Attachments stall, never completely finish

Many users have noticed that when PDF attachments are uploaded, they take a very long time in the processing/uploading phase, and sometimes the progress bar stalls at 50% and never finishes.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Don't automatically import subject headings as tags

Subject headings from Proquest and other databases are automatically imported as "tags." This clutters up the interface, and makes it hard for users to add their own tags.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Delete the "Search Databases" option.

Please give Administrators the power to remove this option from RefWorks. We spend a great deal of time teaching students how to use our library's federated search tool. This option of choosing individual databases while in RefWorks defeats that purpose. If users want to search a particular database, that can easily be done from our library's website.

59 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Provide administrator the ability to make and edit "Role" and "Institution" options.

Currently, administrator can not make and edit options for "Role" and "Institutions" which is selected when user create their accounts. This makes it inconvenient for administrator to manage their user and usage stats.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are taking a look at this idea, and would appreciate clarifications as to whether you would like to:
    1. Change the selection made by the user to another already available selection
    2. Add selection options (i.e. add new roles)
    Thank you.

5. Export Tags

It is essential that RefWorks export "tag" metadata in its various export formats. I have been using RefWorks for years but am discontinuing my use of your product until tag data is exportable. Tag metadata is some of the most valuable data in the library of citations that I have amassed over the past four years, and because it is not currently exportable, it feels as if ProQuest is holding my data hostage. Exportable metadata is not merely a perk to be added to your service; it is a MAJOR structural flaw that needs to be addressed.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  6. Warning that a reference is already in Refworks when import it

I would be great, if Refworks detects duplicates while I import references. RefWorks could ask: "This is already in your RefWorks database. Do you want to import it anyway?"

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Export references with highlight or comment

When New RefWorks User tries to print/download a reference, the highlight or comment on the PDF file will be removed. We expect that it is possible to export the reference file including highlight or comment from New RefWorks.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  8. Write-n-cite search "function" improvement

Am I the only one who thinks the Write-n-cite "insert citation"-window functionality is horrible?
    Please,
    1) add a possibility re-size the window such that you can see more than just two references.
    2) allow proper search function - at minimum a possibility to search by typing two author names but preferably also words from any field in the reference.

Currently I see only two lines
    and (maybe I'm doing this wrong but anyway) can only search by single author (surname).

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Annoying bug in Write-n-Cite for Word

I think this has only come up with the last few versions and I just tried that it exists with 4.5.1682.

When Write-n-Cite is installed and activated in Word but user has not logged in to it (because not actively using it), Word shows up the Write-n-Cite login dialog every time a document is opened via the Word recent files.

This is a problem because we have deployed Write-n-Cite to all our campus workstations and obviously not everyone uses it.

I think that this is a bug that needs to be looked into.

- Jouni Alkio / Aalto University /…

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide the ability for admins to remove Institutional Styles

Somehow, we have managed to get multiple occurances of the same Style set as Institutional Styles. I am told this is a known issue and that Development are aware but with no date for a resolution. It would be useful if Admins could remove Institutional Styles no matter what account they are from

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. WAYFless URL to access RefWorks 3 directly without using login page.

We would need a WAYFless URL to RefWorks 3. In our workflows users want to go directly to RefWorks 3 from within other applications. The route to go to the login page is not needed with a WAYFLess URL. Haveing requested this already three years ago nothing seems to have happened. Frustrating.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, and apologies for the late response.
    We will be taking a look at this, however at this time we cannot provide an expected schedule. While the benefit of this feature to the users is clear, we are currently focusing on closing some parity gaps vs. legacy RefWorks and on completing some key roadmap features. I will update here when we will have something more concrete to share.

12. Be able to restructure folders more easily

Currently, folder structure is set once created and cannot be modified without recreating and deleting folders. It would be great to be able to click and drag folders so that if we decided to make one folder into a subfolder, or make a subfolder into a main folder, we could click and drag it in/ out without having to create a new folder structure, move/ reassign all the references over, and then delete the previous folder structure.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. LibreOffice integration via a plugin (like Write-n-Cite with Word)

Although RefWorks supports exporting bibliographies in ODF format, it's missing the integration with LibreOffice. Other reference management tools do provide this, so it would be useful if RefWorks did as well. Thank you!

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Provide institutions with an option to integrate their online chat service

Many academic libraries provide an online chat service to their community. Referencing questions are one of our most popular topics!

Please provide an option for institutions to plug in their online chat service such as: LibChat from Springshare or LibraryH3lp. This is currently possible in databases such as ProQuest and Ebsco.

If the question needs to be referred to RefWorks support, then user could be referred to the support page.

We notice that you have recently implemented chat support, however it is of little use to our community as the hours of operation do not work in our time zone.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add "one line one cite" feature. Gives people ability to insert in-text citations in programs other than Word or Google Docs.

Our campus is using Microsoft Office 365. The "one line one cite" feature that was available in the Legacy version gives the option of being able to insert citations/create bibliographies in other writing software.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add the ability to resize the window of Write-N-CiteⅢ and WNC4

It may be useful for users to be able to change the window size of Write-n-Cite III and WNC 4 as they like.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. data-driven article recommendations

There is a demand for data-driven article recommendation function for RefWorks.
    Some kind of web services have already implemented this kind of function.
    One end-user said that it should be based on not only articles in user account but also references cited in those articles. I hope this idea to be considered.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  18. Please negate the need for Refworks to require a new tab and login when I export new references from my Institution's database.

I would like all my exported references to default to the Refworks database I already have open at the time.
    Each time I export a new reference into Refworks, I am asked to login again which results in multiple Refworks tabs open.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ensure RCM (RefWorks Citation Manager) works well in Microsoft Word for Mac

allowing references to be added easily and quickly

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Drag and Drop to folders: option to decide whether to copy or move to another folder

Drag and drop a reference to a folder: It would be nice, if I could choose wether I want to copy it to a folder or if I want to move it from one to another folder.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base