How can we improve Alma?

Extend time before analytics times out

Whenever I am working on an analytic report, it often takes hours. But after a few minutes, if I do not go back to Alma to do a fake search to refresh its link to analytics, analytics would time out.

Can you extend the time to at least an hour before analytics times out?

282 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pauline Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JMC commented  · 

I wholehearted support this idea, despite having no votes to give at the moment.

• Robert Ferguson commented  · 

Great to see that this important issue is now under review.

• Hughes Gong commented  · 

It seems like some days it times out more frequently than other days. There are times, that I can't even login to analytics. I've also found that certain features direct me straight to an ORACLE login, so I have to close it and open it back up through Alma. It would be nice to have a longer time out, since sometimes I need to go back and forth to compare the statistics to Alma. Thank you.

• AdminYoel Kortick (Senior Librarian, Ex Libris) commented  · 

Hello. We realize the importance of this issue and are looking at it from various angles.
        The route we are going now is in the OBI configurations and how they may be affected by the user logging in from within Alma.
        We are also checking if there are specific activities which may be done in Alma which could affect the timeout in OBI.
        We are confident that a solution will be discovered soon.
        Thank you.

• sch commented  · 

I also wrote a case about it.

• Stacey van Groll commented  · 

Does everyone here have a case in? I believe this is a bug rather than an improvement request, because it's clearly randomly timing out and is not actually working in practice to marry with the 1 hour Alma timeout. I have a published case in and would encourage everyone to do the same. Case No: 00452570.
        Cheers, Stacey van Groll University of Queensland Library

• Ruth Elder commented  · 

Support all of these comments here - immensely frustrating and causes severe duplication of effort at times. In my view this should be a priority issue.

• Robert Ferguson commented  · 

I haven't timed it with a clock, but the time-out interval does seem to be irregular; certainly it almost always times out (if that's what's happening) before Alma itself does.

• Jeanne Little commented  · 

This is extremely aggravating as it takes time to construct an analysis and if you are interrupted and have to attend to something else, you lose anything you did after the last time you saved the report. Because you have to go through Alma to access Analytics, Alma should recognize you are active and not time out. I feel this is a very important issue that needs to be fixed. I asked at ELUNA 2016 and 2017 and received no commitment to looking into it or solving the problem either. Please remove the timeout function completely!

• Mike Rogers commented  · 

This has been a very frustrating issue. Even stepping away from my desk for 10-15 minutes causes Analytics to time out. Would really love to see this fixed.

• Simon Hunt commented  · 

Analytics seems to time out regardless of how often you refresh Alma, and much sooner than Alma times out. Is this a connectivity issue? Can we at least have a countdown clock to work with?

Feedback and Knowledge Base