Work Orders: package of required enhancements
Work orders are useful but often cumbersome and don't work as required. A package of enhancements/fixes would make them much more useful and useable:
• Adding notes when creating work orders in bulk. This would enable having fewer work order types as explanatory notes could be used instead.
• Makes notes more (immediately) visible when scanning in (pop up message?). Again would enable fewer work order types as items could be easily catergorised according to explanatory note upon receipt at managing department.
• Select recall/not recall at work order placement (like pick from shelf), not baked into type (and in selectable in bulk as well as individually).
• Select/override priority level at work order placement (individual and in bulk)/make it easier to manually advance work orders in queue, AND:
Different priority levels for different work order types.
• Allow managing departments to manage multiple work order types (like circulation desks can) - increased versatility and flexibility.
• Where circulation desks (and hopefully managing departments) manage multiple work order types, make it possible to view all in-process items and have work order type immediately visible.
• Alert on scanning into work order managing department if higher priority work order/request exists.
• Enable cancelling specific work orders/work order types in bulk (can currently only cancel all physical item requests on a set of items in bulk). This would improve versatility and flexibility.
Realise this in not a single enhancement, but no single enhancement will make that much difference. The whole work order system needs to be looked at start-to-finish for real-world usability.