RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Can you add the "International Journal of Renewable Energy Research" Citation?

This style does not seem to exist yet on Refworks, and it is required for one of my classes

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. tags

With a shared folder for a team, we're all adding references and trying to keep them organized. We initially used tags and then learned that they were account specific so other team members can't see our tags. However, tags are the best way to organize and search the entries. When added in shared folder, tags should be visible to all.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Enable open URL link resolver buttons in shared folders opened by non-RefWorks users

Enable open URL link resolver buttons in shared folders opened by non-RefWorks users

I am my campus' RefWorks administrator and a reference librarian. We use RefShare in legacy RefWorks to send search results to our patrons. Use of our search service nearly trebled during the three years after we licensed legacy RefWorks and we believe this is largely due to the presence of a "GetIt@UNMC" button in each record in our RefShare format search results. Many search service users became interested in using RefWorks after receiving search results in RefShare format. A "shared folder" feature without "GetIt@___" open url link…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  4. The ability to move references.

Be able to move references manually since once you put them in besides the hard sorting of authors and such there is no way to change order.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Setting or preference that allows my default to be APA since everything my University wants it APA. It saves a click, and format accidents.

Allow me to permanently select APA so I don’t accidentally mix or miss format from other citation styles. My school wants 100% APA, so I’d rather not have to select it each and every time. I’d like to minimize my time formatting, and maximize my time reading the content rather than worrying about the format of the bib/works sited.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
  6. Sort by Date on Table View

We would like to sort references by data when we display RefWorks on table view.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. I also suggest that you enable a line to put additional information about a folder, for example: "XYZ User Search" or any useful information

I also suggest that you enable a line to put additional information about a folder, for example: "XYZ User Search" or any useful information about that folder. In the Reference Manager there was a similar metadata and it was very useful

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Warning that a reference is already in Refworks when import it

I would be great, if Refworks detects duplicates while I import references. RefWorks could ask: "This is already in your RefWorks database. Do you want to import it anyway?"

61 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow for the coice of font and size of font in the settings. I have to change font and size each time I copy & paste.

Instead of having to change the font and size each time I import a reference, it would be helpful if we could set this within RefWorks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make it possible to restrict users' email address update by admin.

Administrators of some institutions want the users not to update their email addresses by themselves.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve import of author's names

The most common problem we see with the formatting of references is that the author's first and last name are treated as one field, so that the in-text citation would read (Ali Smith, 2017) rather than (Smith, 2017). This happens quite a lot, is there a way to improve the export/importing of author's names?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Search should default to folder you are working in

If you are currently in a folder, perhaps the search function should default to searching the folder you are in, with an option to search your entire database of references.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Stop defaulting back to original settings

I sometimes import large numbers of references or are working with databases with large numbers of references, so I set the number to display so that I can see all references on one page. RefWorks keeps defaulting back to 50 per page. I have to keep changing it back and have sometimes only edited/moved 50 references before I realized it had defaulted back and that the rest weren't displayed. Please also stop defaulting to sorting by date added or normal view instead of what I had changed it to. I set it a certain way for a reason and it…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. View all highlights

The single most important thing I found when writing my book, and what I do desperately need for my dissertation, is a single location that lists all of my highlights from the entire project. The workflow of reviewing the documents, highlighting key ideas, viewing all the highlights, organizing them into a cohesive framework, then building it into the final product is one of the most keenly efficient ways I've ever seen to write a scholarly work, and you're one step away from being the perfect resource for that.

Please.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to de-duplicate shared folders

It would be extremely useful to be able to de-duplicate shared folders, as students in my organization typically use shared folders to individually search for resources for a group project. The ability to de-duplicate the folder after the research portion of the project is over would be immediately helpful.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. WAYFless URL to access RefWorks 3 directly without using login page.

We would need a WAYFless URL to RefWorks 3. In our workflows users want to go directly to RefWorks 3 from within other applications. The route to go to the login page is not needed with a WAYFLess URL. Haveing requested this already three years ago nothing seems to have happened. Frustrating.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback, and apologies for the late response.
    We will be taking a look at this, however at this time we cannot provide an expected schedule. While the benefit of this feature to the users is clear, we are currently focusing on closing some parity gaps vs. legacy RefWorks and on completing some key roadmap features. I will update here when we will have something more concrete to share.

18. Citation style names need context

Many citation styles have many different versions (author-date, in-text, footnote) and editions (6th, 7th, 8th). The names in the list make it hard to choose which one is best. Clearer names and more information about the style, including last updated date, perhaps in a "hover" style information box, would help users. It would also be nice to be able to search/browse a list of styles instead of only having an autocomplete search box to find citation styles.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. error al guardar un cambio la barra de usuario pregunta y lenguaje e institucion no permite guardar o cancelar los cambios

error al guardar un cambio de una fuente, la barra de usuario ayuda (?) y lenguaje e institución no permite guardar o cancelar los cambios

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow multiple independent bibliographies

Add an option to start a second new bibliography within a single document. This would be ideal for writing chapters where each section needs a separate bibliography.

This would be very simple to add and would help with keeping formating consistent for other objects in documents like figures.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base