RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to restructure folders more easily

Currently, folder structure is set once created and cannot be modified without recreating and deleting folders. It would be great to be able to click and drag folders so that if we decided to make one folder into a subfolder, or make a subfolder into a main folder, we could click and drag it in/ out without having to create a new folder structure, move/ reassign all the references over, and then delete the previous folder structure.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Add "search" to the view tool

One of the most useful tools when reading a document is the ability to search in the text. Please provide us with this essential tool when viewing the uploaded PDF documents.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add Shibboleth Login to RCM Add-in

Add Shibboleth / Institutional sign-on / Federated Access to RCM Add-in for Word 2016.

At present Shibboleth / Institutional login is provided via the web interface, but not via the RCM Add-in. The only way to login is with the alternate password option set in RefWorks web user settings.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. APA capitalization

I would love to see the automation of capitalizing proper nouns in APA. I believe that the only way to currently achieve this is to edit the citation after export.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Do responsive the Refworks site

Currently the user interface and login site are hard to handle trough mobile devices.

I suggest a user interface auto adaptable to device screen (responsive)

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Google Docs Tool -- Add the ability to include page numbers as part of the in-text citation

In APA if you are using a direct quote one should include the page number(s) as part of the in-text citation. In the Google docs tool, there is a space for adding page numbers for that very reason, but it's grayed out and unusable.

Our students primarily use Google docs for their writing so this would be super helpful.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add remove from folder button to folder menu bar

Improve removing a reference from a folder

Current method: Click on delete button, then select remove from folder.

Suggested method: have a remove from folder button on the folder top menu bar.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Citation style names need context

Many citation styles have many different versions (author-date, in-text, footnote) and editions (6th, 7th, 8th). The names in the list make it hard to choose which one is best. Clearer names and more information about the style, including last updated date, perhaps in a "hover" style information box, would help users. It would also be nice to be able to search/browse a list of styles instead of only having an autocomplete search box to find citation styles.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bulk edit for DOI field

Hello, would it be possible to Bulk edit also the field DOI? Especially records imported from PubMed include [doi] in this field which should not display in a bibliography.
    It would be very helpful if we could Replace [doi] with zero characters in all records at once.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Be able to set sharing options on sub-folders like you do on folders

Add sharing function for individual & group for sub-folders. It would be useful to be able to set sharing options on a sub folder without the parent folder having to be shared out as well.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Text Color

All text in Black. Hard to read titels. I wish there is a featrues through it I can control text colors. I can choose color for titels and color for tags and color for reference ... exct

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Save to RefWorks Design Improvements

For the love of all that is holy, please create an option to minimize the 'Save to RefWorks' pop-up window when you're trying to input a reference. When Save to RefWorks can't manage to input most of the information itself (85% of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), you have to manually input, but the giant RefWorks window blocks half of the article information that you need to input from view

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Customize sidebar menu width

Is there a way to expand the width of the sidebar menu to accommodate for longer folder names? That way, we'd be able to quickly read the entire folder name without having to hover over the number of results.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Make the DOI field editable

Being unable to edit the DOI field in RefWorks creates a huge disincentive, especially for APA users. RefWorks needs to update to the latest DOI format (https:) or make the field accept the updated DOI prefix. Users now have to manually edit the DOI in their document. We are getting a lot of complaints from our users.

Users also have to delete the unnecessary database URL that is imported with every citation.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Search should default to folder you are working in

If you are currently in a folder, perhaps the search function should default to searching the folder you are in, with an option to search your entire database of references.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add RSS feeds to folders

Provide a simple RSS feed of a folder for sharing of references without the attachments.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow us to be able to access the old version of ref works through the new version

There may be references that we have not moved from the old version to the new one. We should be able to move from one version to the other on the same interface.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Link to pubmed

The old RefWorks version had an option to open the reference in pubmed, that option is not there with the updated ProQuest version? I need to use the update view since google docs and word docs do not link to the old version. I would like a link so I can directly open a reference in pubmed again, please.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Please make the record count on the shared folders display the same record number to all users

Currently the record count only shows the number of citations added by that user on the shared folders. A shared folder shows "0" if I've added nothing, but might contain 50 items. It would be useful for all on a shared folder to see the same count.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Problems with entering date

When full dates are entered in long date format (i.e. February 3, 2018), a comma is being added after the day number in the APA Citation view (i.e. 2018, Feb 3,). However, it should be displayed without the final comma (i.e. 2018, Feb 3). Entering the date without a comma (i.e. February 3 2018) into the 'Publish Date' field seems to correct the issue, but does not match the format of date as suggested by the in-field tip (i.e. "Mar 12, 2015" or "2015").

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base