RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import citations into multiple projects at once

Please add new function to import citations into multiple projects at once.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. ISBN/ISSN, authors can be used to retrieve auto-cite metadata for manual input

More criteria are recommended for retrieving metadata for auto-cite. ISBN, ISSN and authors are common. This will empower the auto-cite capability and save a lot of time for the researchers.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Citation style names need context

Many citation styles have many different versions (author-date, in-text, footnote) and editions (6th, 7th, 8th). The names in the list make it hard to choose which one is best. Clearer names and more information about the style, including last updated date, perhaps in a "hover" style information box, would help users. It would also be nice to be able to search/browse a list of styles instead of only having an autocomplete search box to find citation styles.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow multiple independent bibliographies

Add an option to start a second new bibliography within a single document. This would be ideal for writing chapters where each section needs a separate bibliography.

This would be very simple to add and would help with keeping formating consistent for other objects in documents like figures.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Stop defaulting back to original settings

I sometimes import large numbers of references or are working with databases with large numbers of references, so I set the number to display so that I can see all references on one page. RefWorks keeps defaulting back to 50 per page. I have to keep changing it back and have sometimes only edited/moved 50 references before I realized it had defaulted back and that the rest weren't displayed. Please also stop defaulting to sorting by date added or normal view instead of what I had changed it to. I set it a certain way for a reason and it…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Edit in-line citation output style

There are some ways to edit the in-line citations (ex: supress author, add suffix), but no way to edit the overall display format like there is for the bibliography format in the output styles. An example of how this is useful is when I want to cite multiple sources but have a semi-colon between references rather than a comma, since I am delineating specific page numbers and am already using a comma for that.

Additionally, it would be great to see a preview of both the in-line text and the bibliography in RefWorks for a given output style, rather than…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. RefWorks Citation Manager - change default to last folder used instead of "all references"

The RefWorks Citation Manager add-in always defaults to the “All references” folder after choosing an action. For example, if I go to a different folder and choose to “Edit & Cite” for one of the citations, it then toggles back to the All references folder instead of staying in the folder I had been using. This requires me to keep re-selecting the folder where I had accumulated sources for a project.

For workflow, it would be useful to have RefWorks Citation Manager default to folder last used instead of to All References.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Enable analytics to refine display of usage stats by IP range or email domain

We would like to be able to access usage stats for partner institutions to whom we offer access to RefWorks via our account. This access has been set up using IP address ranges and email domains.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Include referring URL or permalink

RefWorks should capture the referring URL or (when coming from an ExL/ProQuest property) the permalink for a record when importing. This would help patrons go back to where they found the item, in case they need more details about it, want to get the item, or want to find other things like it.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Bulk edit for DOI field

Hello, would it be possible to Bulk edit also the field DOI? Especially records imported from PubMed include [doi] in this field which should not display in a bibliography.
    It would be very helpful if we could Replace [doi] with zero characters in all records at once.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Copy and paste ready-material citation style from other Sources

Ready-made citations are provided in some databases. However, there is no 'copy and paste' function in Refworks to import them. The articles from four very popular databases cannot be grabbed by 'Save to Refworks' - Britannica School, Questia, Statista and Discovery Education Streaming. But the databases provide citations, it is ashamed that the data cannot be transferred to Refworks easily.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Be able to set sharing options on sub-folders like you do on folders

Add sharing function for individual & group for sub-folders. It would be useful to be able to set sharing options on a sub folder without the parent folder having to be shared out as well.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve import of author's names

The most common problem we see with the formatting of references is that the author's first and last name are treated as one field, so that the in-text citation would read (Ali Smith, 2017) rather than (Smith, 2017). This happens quite a lot, is there a way to improve the export/importing of author's names?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Text Color

All text in Black. Hard to read titels. I wish there is a featrues through it I can control text colors. I can choose color for titels and color for tags and color for reference ... exct

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to de-duplicate shared folders

It would be extremely useful to be able to de-duplicate shared folders, as students in my organization typically use shared folders to individually search for resources for a group project. The ability to de-duplicate the folder after the research portion of the project is over would be immediately helpful.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ignore punctuation in bibliography

The ordering of titles surrounded by inverted commas is separate to those titles that do not have inverted commas, in a bibliography.
    Is it possible to ignore the inverted commas so that all titles are listed alphabetically, regardless of punctuation?

I have tried ediing the 'title' field in the Bibliography settings but I don't see any option to ignore punctuation here.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Technical standards currently uses the default reference type. We would prefer it to use Cite Them Right's Harvard specification

Cite Them Right defines it as:

Name of authorising organisation (Year of publication) Number and title of standard. Place of publication: publisher OR Available at: URL (Accessed: date).

(see attached screenshot for italics)

This could also be applied to Summon's Harvard output style which is also deficient. For example, on Summon the Harvard output style cites:
    ASTM International 2017, Standard Practice for Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete. This omits the parentheses around the year, and there is no metadata for: Place of publication: publisher. Similarly, for a BS EN ISO standard, the output is also wonky -- it should display British…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make 'Save to Refworks' tab more compatible with ProQuest articles

Articles retrieved from ProQuest are interpreted as Web Pages instead of Journal Article and information has to be manually entered.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base