RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide the ability for admins to remove Institutional Styles

Somehow, we have managed to get multiple occurances of the same Style set as Institutional Styles. I am told this is a known issue and that Development are aware but with no date for a resolution. It would be useful if Admins could remove Institutional Styles no matter what account they are from

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Assign custom sorting: chronologically, but in 17th ed. Chicago Style-Notes and Bib

While I want my entries to remain in Chicago Style, sometimes it is helpful to sort chronologically, but in more detail than RW currently allows which is only by year then author. I want to order the list more accurately: Year Ascending; Month Ascending; Day Ascending; Author; Title. I realize I can reorder the fields to begin with the full date, but then they are not in Chicago Style. How can I reorder the citations to be truly chronological (as I will have multiple dates within each year), without changing the Chicago Style order of each field?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Combining citations when article was published in installments, in Chicago Style

When a journal article is published in installments, over the course of at least two issues, according to Chicago Style, it should appear this way:

Brown, George C., ed. “A Swedish Traveler in Early Wisconsin: The Observations of Fredrika Bremer.” Pts. 1 and 2. Wisconsin Magazine of History 61 (Summer 1978): 300–318; 62 (Autumn 1978): 41–56.

Mine turns out like this, even after I edited the “Edition” field so it could have the “Pts. 1 and 2” included:

McLaughlin, George. "Cincinnati Artists of the Munich School." Pts. 1 and 2. The American Art Review 2, no. 1, 2 (Nov., Dec.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Do responsive the Refworks site

Currently the user interface and login site are hard to handle trough mobile devices.

I suggest a user interface auto adaptable to device screen (responsive)

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Drag and Drop to folders: option to decide whether to copy or move to another folder

Drag and drop a reference to a folder: It would be nice, if I could choose wether I want to copy it to a folder or if I want to move it from one to another folder.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Customizable Log-in page for New RefWorks

In Legacy RefWorks, admin can customize log-in page. We want this function taken over to New RefWorks.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Citation Style Editor: customize fields more

In an output-style the field Publish year (date) is listed twice in one reference type. Behind the Short title and behind Place of Publication. The first time it is mentioned, it should end with a parenthesis. The second time not. But it is not possible to define different settings. I think it should be possible to differ. My suggestion is: It should be possible to choose a field, make a copy and give it a new name, for example "Publication date with parenthesis". Then I can edit the field independent from the other field "Publication date".

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  8. Option to add to the field "short title" to the bibliography, citations and footnotes

In the citation style editor I am not able to add the field "short title" to my bibliography, citations or footnotes. Only the reference type Generic contains the field short title.
    But for some citation styles it is required.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  9. Warning that a reference is already in Refworks when import it

I would be great, if Refworks detects duplicates while I import references. RefWorks could ask: "This is already in your RefWorks database. Do you want to import it anyway?"

103 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. can you make it as an add-in for powerpoint?

make refworks compatible with Powerpoint so that works cited can be incorporated into the presentation

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Search output styles with other criteria than name of the style

For example by subject areas, citation systems (for example footnotes, intext citations) or language

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Make the DOI field editable

Being unable to edit the DOI field in RefWorks creates a huge disincentive, especially for APA users. RefWorks needs to update to the latest DOI format (https:) or make the field accept the updated DOI prefix. Users now have to manually edit the DOI in their document. We are getting a lot of complaints from our users.

Users also have to delete the unnecessary database URL that is imported with every citation.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add "one line one cite" feature. Gives people ability to insert in-text citations in programs other than Word or Google Docs.

Our campus is using Microsoft Office 365. The "one line one cite" feature that was available in the Legacy version gives the option of being able to insert citations/create bibliographies in other writing software.

32 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Enable analytics to refine display of usage stats by IP range or email domain

We would like to be able to access usage stats for partner institutions to whom we offer access to RefWorks via our account. This access has been set up using IP address ranges and email domains.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Rotation feature

There doesn't appear to be a feature that allows users to rotate documents if they need to be viewed in landscape.

Additionally, the highlight feature is not always usable. It would be helpful if the highlight feature worked similar to how it does in Adobe Acrobat--if the document is scanned, the highlight feature works like a marker (you "draw" the highlighting on). If the doc is simply a converted file or from the internet, the highlight feature
    highlights word by word.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →
  17. Technical standards currently uses the default reference type. We would prefer it to use Cite Them Right's Harvard specification

Cite Them Right defines it as:

Name of authorising organisation (Year of publication) Number and title of standard. Place of publication: publisher OR Available at: URL (Accessed: date).

(see attached screenshot for italics)

This could also be applied to Summon's Harvard output style which is also deficient. For example, on Summon the Harvard output style cites:
    ASTM International 2017, Standard Practice for Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete. This omits the parentheses around the year, and there is no metadata for: Place of publication: publisher. Similarly, for a BS EN ISO standard, the output is also wonky -- it should display British…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow page display customization

I find that the "bubbly" nature of the new version makes it easy to start using, but now that I want to use it as a research tool, I would like to minimize the size of all the text, buttons, and icons so that more information can be displayed at one time. I would prefer the option to sort references and move through the platform efficiently. Make all my folders display in the same box (not separated by shared or not). In general, if it looked more like a computer files system rather than a phone app, it would allow…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. allow sorting of references

When viewing references, allow sorting options by date, author(s), title, etc.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Deduplication of sub-folders, or between folders

I would like to be able to de-duplicate sub-folders, for example where each sub-folder contains the results from a database search for a systematic review.

Alternatively, a user should be able to choose to de-duplicate any two or more folders in refworks.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base