Skip to content

Primo

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Primo by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

160 results found

1. My Favorites: while pinning item, allow user to choose label

When a user pins an item to My Favorites from the search results or detail view, the item goes to My Favorites without a label. Users would like to choose the label at the time they pin it.

Otherwise, they have to pin things, then go into My Favorites and go through all the things they just pinned a second time. By this time the user may not recall the specific reason they pinned it. We would like My Favorites to work similar to Pinterest and other similar tools, where the user can assign a tag/label as they are pinning,…

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. New UI: Set automatically the cursor in the search box

Hello,

A feature that many users would like to see in the Primo new UI is to have the cursor already in the search box when they open the page. The user would be able to type directly their query and not have to click first in the search box. In the Primo classic UI, the cursor was already in the search box.

The SF case 00508525 was about the same issue.

Thank you.

184 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to select/set preferred record criteria for dedupe/FRBR in Primo VE

We have instances where records for print materials in our holdings are combined with records for e-resources, to display a single record with multiple access points in our catalog. That is good and expected. However, often the source record is an e-resource record rather than the record for our physical holding, and we would prefer that the record for our physical resource be used so that important local notes are sure to be displayed. When the record for an e-resource is used instead, our local notes are not displayed, and that is a big problem.

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make facets sticky by default for the session

I would like to suggest that Primo's facets should be sticky by default (or at least that this should be a configuration option). The "Reset filters" link right below the selected filters implies that filters will stick unless reset; users find this confusing. I agree with other posters' points about the lock icon being visible at all times, and that a selection of New Search should automatically clear sticky facets, but otherwise, I would like to propose that facets should stick unless the user either selects New Search, or clicks "Reset filters" (perhaps this could be renamed "Clear filters"). This…

251 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow users to choose how many results to see

With a lot of online retail sites, users are able to choose how many search hits they see per page.

Would this be a helpful addition to Primo?

After all, since the new UI was introduced, the subject of infinite-scrolling vs paging has been contentious amongst Ex Libris customers. It has already led to the addition of the 'Next Page' widget.

Allowing users to choose how many hits they would like to see might take a lot of the debate from us, and put the decision directly into the hands of the end user.

85 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Utilize LDR and MARC fixed fields (006,007,008) in Primo VE resource type configuration

Currently it's not possible to utilize LDR and MARC fixed fields (006,007,008) in Primo VE resource type configuration. It would be helpful, if regular expressions could be used to utilize these fields. That way facets could be created for DVDs, Blu-Ray discs and streaming video etc. without workarounds, using standard cataloging.

There is a similar idea already posted for Advanced Search, but we were advised by Ex Libris to list this separately.

104 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  chaniy responded

This functionality is now available in Primo VE April 2019 release.

7. Include the 776 field in ISBN matching when deduping books

Deduping of books would be improved if the deduping algorithm included the 776 field in ISBN matching. Currently, the algorithm only checks the 020 field for ISBN. In many cases, an electronic version of a book has the print ISBN in the 776 field, which would allow for a match of the electronic 776 to the print 020. The February VE release included an improvement that allowed the 776 field to be used when matching journal ISSNs, but it is still not being used when matching book ISBNs.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Display more than 10 locations in PRIMO VE

We are using bch scheme and when a bibliographic record has more than 10 locations, PRIMO only shows 10, even though the results are limited to one library.
    For example, there are one item in our Medical Library, but it doesn't show. https://granatensis.ugr.es/discovery/fulldisplay?docid=alma991014023258604990&context=L&vid=34CBUA_UGR:VU1&search_scope=MyInstitution&tab=Granada&lang=es

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for posting this idea. This feature is released in Primo VE as part of September 2019 release.

9. Display of consortium e-resource coverage

Consortium partner library's e-resource coverage and public notes should be displayed in Primo VE.

When searching Primo VE in consortium environment with Search Profile "DiscoveryNetwork", coverage of e-resource licensed by the consortium partner library (not by the consortium) is not displayed. Only bib record (in NZ) is displayed.

Currently, no information about e-resource holdings of consortium partner library is displayed and users will not be able to notice that the partner library subscribed to this e-journal. If they noticed, they could access to this e-journal as walk-in users visiting the partner library or request copies of articles through Interlibrary Loan.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Local fields for all MARC tags

Currently local Primo VE fields can only be created for a small set of MARC fields (009, 09X, 490, 5XX, 69X, and 9XX). I don't see a reason for this limitation. I want to be able to use ALL MARC tags for local fields.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Primo VE  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for posting this idea. This feature is now available in primo VE for MARC21 format (June 2019) and UNIMARC format (August 2019).

11. Improve navigation behaviour for Contextual Relationships

With the current May 2019 design for related items by contextual relationships, when a user finishes looking at the related items and wants to the return to their search results, they are returned to the very top of the result list.

The only time this doesn’t happen is if they have used the pagination widget to navigate by page selection.

This is an extremely poor experience if the user has spent time working their way through a result list, and may be several pages deep, only to find that they have completely lost their place in the list.

Ex Libris…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. My Library Card - Display Renew icon for all loans (New UI)

There is no Renew icon for the loans that can't be renewed in Primo now.It made library patrons puzzled when they can't renew some loans, Because they can't find the Renew Icon.It would be very useful to display the Renew icon for all loans.When the loans can't be renewed,the icon can be another one and the patrons would be prompted for the reason.

153 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Provide a way to configure which citation style is the default selection in the Citations dialogue

It would be helpful if we could set a particular citation style to be the default style that is selected when users open the 'Citations' dialogue from the 'Send to' actions. At present it always opens on APA because it is the first style in the list.

For example at my institution we have courses that use APA and MLA, but the majority use Harvard style, so I'd like Harvard to be the 'selected' style shown when the dialogue opens.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. menu tile urls must be customizable by language

Currently its not possible to define language specific URLs in the Backoffice for the main menu tile.
    Localization in Primo is possible for nearly all labels and functionalities and we think this is a must have.

245 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Primo VE doesn't have a boosting ability

Primo VE can't boost like traditional Primo. We would like to see that brought in for us to be able to boost similar to how it is configured in the back office

https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Product_Documentation/060Back_Office_Guide/110Additional_Primo_Features/020Search_Engine_Configurations#Results_Boosting

69 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for posting this idea. This feature is released in Primo VE as part of September 2019 release.

16. My Library Card - Personal Details ability to Disable Edit option

Currently patrons can access the area

My Library Card/Personal Details

Where there is an option to edit their details (address, phone number etc).

As our borrower details all come from corporate systems we would like to disable the edit function as, for example, students changing/updating any details such as their address should occur via the student record system not in Primo as a standalone action which will lead to confusion.
    In the old UI there was at least a tip on the edit page:
    "Changes to e-mail address and text message number will be reflected in Primo only."

It would…

232 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to select which location appears first

When there are titles held in multiple locations, enable the ability to determine which location will appear first in the record.

257 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The option to search the contents of My Collection/My Favorites

Feedback from postgraduate Primo user:
    "I tend to save anything that looks interesting to My Collection, but now there is a lot there. I have arranged into folders, but still it would be useful to be able to search through the collection, rather than having to search the whole library."

195 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve visibility of sticky facets

The sticky facets are an excellent addition to the functionality of the new UI, but the probability of users discovering them is quite low.

In usability testing students will alter their search terms without ever hovering their mouse over the filters they have applied to their previous search, and then have to reapply the filters.

While the padlock is hidden behind a mouseover interaction this very desirable functionality is undiscoverable.

Also in its current configuration the tooltips for the selected filter and the padlock clash.

The padlock for making your selected filter 'sticky' should be visible by default, and probably…

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Adding a "requester note" in Primo for a patron when making a purchase request

There is no possibility in Primo for a patron to add a note to explain why a they would like the library to purchase an item, when making a purchase request.

However, In Alma there is a "requester note" where you can state the reason the patron has requested the item, but this cannot be done in Primo.

So I suggest adding a requesters note in Primo, so the library will have more information as to why they should purchase an item for a patron.

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base