RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Be able to set sharing options on sub-folders like you do on folders

Add sharing function for individual & group for sub-folders. It would be useful to be able to set sharing options on a sub folder without the parent folder having to be shared out as well.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Stop defaulting back to original settings

I sometimes import large numbers of references or are working with databases with large numbers of references, so I set the number to display so that I can see all references on one page. RefWorks keeps defaulting back to 50 per page. I have to keep changing it back and have sometimes only edited/moved 50 references before I realized it had defaulted back and that the rest weren't displayed. Please also stop defaulting to sorting by date added or normal view instead of what I had changed it to. I set it a certain way for a reason and it…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Enable analytics to refine display of usage stats by IP range or email domain

We would like to be able to access usage stats for partner institutions to whom we offer access to RefWorks via our account. This access has been set up using IP address ranges and email domains.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add more severe authentication

We have institutions which have multiple campuses or branch office and use a common institutional email address domain.
    If only one campus/office of a large-scale institution subscribes RefWorks, it needs to restrict to access or create new account from other places.
    I think that to add the authentication by all of the following required items would be resolved:
    - access to the unique URL
    - enter the invitation code
    - enter the institutional email address domain

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  5. Ignore punctuation in bibliography

The ordering of titles surrounded by inverted commas is separate to those titles that do not have inverted commas, in a bibliography.
    Is it possible to ignore the inverted commas so that all titles are listed alphabetically, regardless of punctuation?

I have tried ediing the 'title' field in the Bibliography settings but I don't see any option to ignore punctuation here.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Edit author

Sometimes authors have to be entered in manually. This is especially the case when I import PDFs - RefWorks captures the wrong authors. However, it would be easier if we could rearrange the order of authors manually. Currently, if I accidentally delete the first author or skipped a third author, I can't go back and add these authors in their correct order. Instead, I have to re-type all the author names again in the correct order.

Please allow authors to be manually added and allow us to add authors in a specific order/ wherever we click in the author section.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Multiple URLs on record import - separate? or block

Records can't support two links in the URL field, but mutliple URLS on import are all placed there. Some databases (Ovid) allow inclusion of either the "permalink" record URL and/or the external link resolver (full text). When the records are in Refworks, neither link works because they are in one URL field with a space separating them. It would be great if RW could support multiple links for a record (via import) but if not, then perhaps block on space or on the next "http" found?

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. RefWorks API documentation

We urgently need to see the API documentation for ProQuest RefWorks so that we can create our own export function for our library catalogue (Koha).

The 'Save to RefWorks' button does not work for Koha so we have no option other than to create our own embedded export feature. Our developers cannot do this without the API documentation.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  9. Text Color

All text in Black. Hard to read titels. I wish there is a featrues through it I can control text colors. I can choose color for titels and color for tags and color for reference ... exct

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make it possible to restrict users' email address update by admin.

Administrators of some institutions want the users not to update their email addresses by themselves.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Enable stats at folder level

Enable stats at the folder level. If we make a folder of citations public, we can see how many view the folder. This would be really helpful!

At this point, we would have to use a link manager, like Bitly to count views. Having to add another platform, such as Bitly, to support our RefWorks-related needs is not ideal.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Bibliografías organizadas por tipo de material

Será muy intersante que Rewforks permitiese hacer bibliografías organizadas por tipo de material: monografías, artículos, tesis, etc.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add WorldCat catalogues to Search Databases in RefWorks New

Our library uses a WorldCat catalogue. We would like our catalogue to be added to "Search Databases" in RefWorks New to enable searching our institutions catalogue from within RefWorks. This is not possible at the moment because RefWork needs Z39.50 and WorldCat uses SRU. So we would like SRU to be added to RefWorks or the possibility to use the WorldCat Search API.
    [case 00615984]

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Technical standards currently uses the default reference type. We would prefer it to use Cite Them Right's Harvard specification

Cite Them Right defines it as:

Name of authorising organisation (Year of publication) Number and title of standard. Place of publication: publisher OR Available at: URL (Accessed: date).

(see attached screenshot for italics)

This could also be applied to Summon's Harvard output style which is also deficient. For example, on Summon the Harvard output style cites:
    ASTM International 2017, Standard Practice for Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete. This omits the parentheses around the year, and there is no metadata for: Place of publication: publisher. Similarly, for a BS EN ISO standard, the output is also wonky -- it should display British…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make 'Save to Refworks' tab more compatible with ProQuest articles

Articles retrieved from ProQuest are interpreted as Web Pages instead of Journal Article and information has to be manually entered.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I also suggest that you enable a line to put additional information about a folder, for example: "XYZ User Search" or any useful information

I also suggest that you enable a line to put additional information about a folder, for example: "XYZ User Search" or any useful information about that folder. In the Reference Manager there was a similar metadata and it was very useful

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  18. notification when new references are added to shared folders or projects

especially when working with shared folders and projects it is very useful if I can easily spot recent changes / additions /modifications made by the other users of the project/folder.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Small Caps

Some citation styles require small caps, yet there is no mechanism within RefWorks to generate them. This is problematic.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Save to RefWorks Design Improvements

For the love of all that is holy, please create an option to minimize the 'Save to RefWorks' pop-up window when you're trying to input a reference. When Save to RefWorks can't manage to input most of the information itself (85% of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), you have to manually input, but the giant RefWorks window blocks half of the article information that you need to input from view

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base