RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Customize sidebar menu width

Is there a way to expand the width of the sidebar menu to accommodate for longer folder names? That way, we'd be able to quickly read the entire folder name without having to hover over the number of results.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Make the DOI field editable

Being unable to edit the DOI field in RefWorks creates a huge disincentive, especially for APA users. RefWorks needs to update to the latest DOI format (https:) or make the field accept the updated DOI prefix. Users now have to manually edit the DOI in their document. We are getting a lot of complaints from our users.

Users also have to delete the unnecessary database URL that is imported with every citation.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please make the record count on the shared folders display the same record number to all users

Currently the record count only shows the number of citations added by that user on the shared folders. A shared folder shows "0" if I've added nothing, but might contain 50 items. It would be useful for all on a shared folder to see the same count.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. customize display of Shared folders

customize display of Shared folders. Currently, a public URL to a Shared Folder does not allow any customization of how these citations are displayed--or any selection whatsoever--creating disadvantage for RefWorks-naive users.

Please allow the admin and/or user customization of how references are displayed in public URL Shared folders. (e.g., I might like to display only the title and abstract, etc.)

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  5. Search should default to folder you are working in

If you are currently in a folder, perhaps the search function should default to searching the folder you are in, with an option to search your entire database of references.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Customizable Log-in page for New RefWorks

In Legacy RefWorks, admin can customize log-in page. We want this function taken over to New RefWorks.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Edit in-line citation output style

There are some ways to edit the in-line citations (ex: supress author, add suffix), but no way to edit the overall display format like there is for the bibliography format in the output styles. An example of how this is useful is when I want to cite multiple sources but have a semi-colon between references rather than a comma, since I am delineating specific page numbers and am already using a comma for that.

Additionally, it would be great to see a preview of both the in-line text and the bibliography in RefWorks for a given output style, rather than…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Stop defaulting back to original settings

I sometimes import large numbers of references or are working with databases with large numbers of references, so I set the number to display so that I can see all references on one page. RefWorks keeps defaulting back to 50 per page. I have to keep changing it back and have sometimes only edited/moved 50 references before I realized it had defaulted back and that the rest weren't displayed. Please also stop defaulting to sorting by date added or normal view instead of what I had changed it to. I set it a certain way for a reason and it…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Text Color

All text in Black. Hard to read titels. I wish there is a featrues through it I can control text colors. I can choose color for titels and color for tags and color for reference ... exct

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Enable analytics to refine display of usage stats by IP range or email domain

We would like to be able to access usage stats for partner institutions to whom we offer access to RefWorks via our account. This access has been set up using IP address ranges and email domains.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add more severe authentication

We have institutions which have multiple campuses or branch office and use a common institutional email address domain.
    If only one campus/office of a large-scale institution subscribes RefWorks, it needs to restrict to access or create new account from other places.
    I think that to add the authentication by all of the following required items would be resolved:
    - access to the unique URL
    - enter the invitation code
    - enter the institutional email address domain

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  12. Import numerous references that are hard-keyed into a Word document.

Import numerous references that are hard keyed into a Word document.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. online news webpage not taken as per Harvard style

while importing references from online new websites, refworks do capture the references but does not cite the bibliography as per harvard style for webpages accessed online.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I would like to suggest that an upgrade be written so RefWorks can interface with Scrivener.

It would be very handy to be able to import citations into the Scrivener writing system, as opposed to just having access to Word, etc.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Ignore punctuation in bibliography

The ordering of titles surrounded by inverted commas is separate to those titles that do not have inverted commas, in a bibliography.
    Is it possible to ignore the inverted commas so that all titles are listed alphabetically, regardless of punctuation?

I have tried ediing the 'title' field in the Bibliography settings but I don't see any option to ignore punctuation here.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make 'Save to Refworks' tab more compatible with ProQuest articles

Articles retrieved from ProQuest are interpreted as Web Pages instead of Journal Article and information has to be manually entered.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Edit author

Sometimes authors have to be entered in manually. This is especially the case when I import PDFs - RefWorks captures the wrong authors. However, it would be easier if we could rearrange the order of authors manually. Currently, if I accidentally delete the first author or skipped a third author, I can't go back and add these authors in their correct order. Instead, I have to re-type all the author names again in the correct order.

Please allow authors to be manually added and allow us to add authors in a specific order/ wherever we click in the author section.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Save to RefWorks Design Improvements

For the love of all that is holy, please create an option to minimize the 'Save to RefWorks' pop-up window when you're trying to input a reference. When Save to RefWorks can't manage to input most of the information itself (85% of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), you have to manually input, but the giant RefWorks window blocks half of the article information that you need to input from view

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. RefWorks API documentation

We urgently need to see the API documentation for ProQuest RefWorks so that we can create our own export function for our library catalogue (Koha).

The 'Save to RefWorks' button does not work for Koha so we have no option other than to create our own embedded export feature. Our developers cannot do this without the API documentation.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  20. RCM: Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to RCM to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base