RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

How can we improve RefWorks?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Annoying bug in Write-n-Cite for Word

I think this has only come up with the last few versions and I just tried that it exists with 4.5.1682.

When Write-n-Cite is installed and activated in Word but user has not logged in to it (because not actively using it), Word shows up the Write-n-Cite login dialog every time a document is opened via the Word recent files.

This is a problem because we have deployed Write-n-Cite to all our campus workstations and obviously not everyone uses it.

I think that this is a bug that needs to be looked into.

- Jouni Alkio / Aalto University /…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. LibreOffice integration via a plugin (like Write-n-Cite with Word)

Although RefWorks supports exporting bibliographies in ODF format, it's missing the integration with LibreOffice. Other reference management tools do provide this, so it would be useful if RefWorks did as well. Thank you!

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Write-n-cite search "function" improvement

Am I the only one who thinks the Write-n-cite "insert citation"-window functionality is horrible?
    Please,
    1) add a possibility re-size the window such that you can see more than just two references.
    2) allow proper search function - at minimum a possibility to search by typing two author names but preferably also words from any field in the reference.

Currently I see only two lines
    and (maybe I'm doing this wrong but anyway) can only search by single author (surname).

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add the ability to resize the window of Write-N-CiteⅢ and WNC4

It may be useful for users to be able to change the window size of Write-n-Cite III and WNC 4 as they like.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add "one line one cite" feature. Gives people ability to insert in-text citations in programs other than Word or Google Docs.

Our campus is using Microsoft Office 365. The "one line one cite" feature that was available in the Legacy version gives the option of being able to insert citations/create bibliographies in other writing software.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Edit in-line citation output style

There are some ways to edit the in-line citations (ex: supress author, add suffix), but no way to edit the overall display format like there is for the bibliography format in the output styles. An example of how this is useful is when I want to cite multiple sources but have a semi-colon between references rather than a comma, since I am delineating specific page numbers and am already using a comma for that.

Additionally, it would be great to see a preview of both the in-line text and the bibliography in RefWorks for a given output style, rather than…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Technical standards currently uses the default reference type. We would prefer it to use Cite Them Right's Harvard specification

Cite Them Right defines it as:

Name of authorising organisation (Year of publication) Number and title of standard. Place of publication: publisher OR Available at: URL (Accessed: date).

(see attached screenshot for italics)

This could also be applied to Summon's Harvard output style which is also deficient. For example, on Summon the Harvard output style cites:
    ASTM International 2017, Standard Practice for Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete. This omits the parentheses around the year, and there is no metadata for: Place of publication: publisher. Similarly, for a BS EN ISO standard, the output is also wonky -- it should display British…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Chicago 17th Author-Date style

Please make the style for Chicago 17th correct in all respects. I have found errors in the citation of journal articles and a chapter in an edited collection. There may be other errors. Strangely, the errors occur in newly entered references, not in references imported from legacy refworks. Also, any editing of an imported reference cause the citation to become incorrect.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. RefWorks Citation Manager - change default to last folder used instead of "all references"

The RefWorks Citation Manager add-in always defaults to the “All references” folder after choosing an action. For example, if I go to a different folder and choose to “Edit & Cite” for one of the citations, it then toggles back to the All references folder instead of staying in the folder I had been using. This requires me to keep re-selecting the folder where I had accumulated sources for a project.

For workflow, it would be useful to have RefWorks Citation Manager default to folder last used instead of to All References.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Word Online or Google Docs inside of RefWorks

Integrate RefWorks with the online Writing Tools so that the user, me, share and collaborate my papers inside RefWorks - don't make me leave RefWorks.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow direct download of bibliography

Allow direct download of bibliography with the file type of choice like the old RefWorks

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Write-n-Cite

Dear RefWords gentlemen, I thank you for collaborating informing me how to speak the Write-n-Cite in the Microsoft word offcie 365 proplus.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →
  13. Give the option for removing initials in citations where there are two authors with the same name but different publication year.

WnC 4.5 deals with authors that have the same surname differently to WnC 4.4. Our style is based on a version of Harvard and in WnC 4.4 in text citations for authors with the same surname are given the suffix of a,b etc onto the date e.g: (Smith, 2008a), (Smith, 2008b) to distinguish them. In the new version (4.5) if these authors have different initials, then that is added into the citation e.g: (A. Smith, 2008), (B. Smith, 2008).

If the citations in question have different years - then initials are added to that as well e.g: (A. Smith, 2008),…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →
  14. Ensure RCM (RefWorks Citation Manager) works well in Microsoft Word for Mac

allowing references to be added easily and quickly

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cut and paste references in google docs

It would be great if it was possible to cut and paste in google docs without the references in the text you cut out disappears, or aren’t recognized as references when they are pasted into the text again.
    They don’t do this immediately but when you update the document or change your citation style.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Write-n-Cite

Apreciados señores RefWords, les agradezco me colaboren informandome como hablitar el Write-n-Cite en el word de Microsoft offcie 365 proplus.

Gracias por su respuesta

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow multiple independent bibliographies

Add an option to start a second new bibliography within a single document. This would be ideal for writing chapters where each section needs a separate bibliography.

This would be very simple to add and would help with keeping formating consistent for other objects in documents like figures.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Quick Cite: Support footnotes

Quick Cite does not currently support notes.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rotation feature

There doesn't appear to be a feature that allows users to rotate documents if they need to be viewed in landscape.

Additionally, the highlight feature is not always usable. It would be helpful if the highlight feature worked similar to how it does in Adobe Acrobat--if the document is scanned, the highlight feature works like a marker (you "draw" the highlighting on). If the doc is simply a converted file or from the internet, the highlight feature
    highlights word by word.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. View all highlights

The single most important thing I found when writing my book, and what I do desperately need for my dissertation, is a single location that lists all of my highlights from the entire project. The workflow of reviewing the documents, highlighting key ideas, viewing all the highlights, organizing them into a cohesive framework, then building it into the final product is one of the most keenly efficient ways I've ever seen to write a scholarly work, and you're one step away from being the perfect resource for that.

Please.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base