Skip to content

RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

24 results found

1. Remove final periods from footnote citations with multiple references

In Chicago Notes & Bibliography style, footnote citations with multiple references are showing the final period (".") after each reference, even though RefWorks is correctly separating each reference with a semi-colon (";"), as per the Footnotes settings. Can you include a setting to automate removal of the final period?

For example, when I add a footnote with one citation with RefWorks Citation Manager in Word, it correctly formats it as such:

Clifford Geertz, The Interpretation of Cultures; Selected Essays (New York: Basic Books, 1973).

However, when I add a footnote with two references, it does the following:

Clifford Geertz, The

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Font sizing issue even after corrected. New citations resort all intext citations to 11, even the already correct intext ones.

When putting a new citation in every citation resorts back to font size 11 changing the entire document (thesis chapters).

Improvement: Once a citation is in a sizes correctly, keep it so. this should not be resized everytime a new citation is added.

Point: pre-updated refworks didnt have this issue, so this should have a solution.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Inclusion of page numbers in the numeric styles with RCM, specific AMA 11th. ed.

The citations style AMA 11th. ed. is a number style with superscript. Although the focus is on numbers it is possible to add page numbers to the superscript according to the AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors, 2020, p. 64.

With RCM it is not possible to add page numbers - I have tried to use the suffix-field - but it does not respond on "Edit citation".

I did the same thing within Mendeley Cite and EndNote - using the suffix-field - and in these programs you can add the page numbers to the AMA superscript style.

I…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Make RefWorks Citation Manager available offline

I would like RefWorks Citation Manager in Word to be available when working offline, just as Write-n-Cite is.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Citation in text with continuous notes (ISO 690) used in books

I would like to see RCM (Refworks Citation Manager) incorporate the option to use numerical citation with continuous notes, which is widely used in books. As permitted by Standard ISO 690

"The numbers inserted in the text (in parentheses, brackets or superscripts) refer to notes, numbered according to the order of appearance in the text. Notes may contain references to cited resources. If there are several citations of the same resource, they will be given separate note numbers. "

Now it isn´t possible

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Different sort orders with different reference types

The Cite Them Right 11th edition Harvard style should have films sorted in the reference list by director, not title. But this is not possible because different reference types cannot have different sort orders. Could that be changed?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Continue repeating citation suffix throughout text

The disambiguation system for multiple references from the same author, same year is to add a suffix (a, b, c, etc). However the suffix only appears the first time the reference is cited. This creates confusion when the references are cited multiple times in the text as it becomes impossible to know which references future citations refer to.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Using Word Add-In and Plug-In with Track Changes and Comments

Many students are working on extensive research papers using RefWorks plug-in or add-in in Word. They work with a faculty, using Track Changes and comments (either through sharing or saving and sending).
    There needs to be a section about how to safely use Track Changes with RefWorks. I had a student have a capstone paper really messed up and it was believed by tech support that track changes was the culprit.
    This is how people work and collaborate, so we need to understand up front how to safely use RefWorks and Track Changes in a Word document.
    A video would…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Bibliography order of citations with same author and year

When creating a bibliography in Word using Write 'n Cite, RefWorks automatically bases the order of citations on the author, then the title. However, when using two different citations with the same author and year, I want the order of those citations to be the same order I used them in the text.
    Now I have 'author(2021b)' first in my text, then 'author(2021a)' because it's sorted like that in the bibliography.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Refworks Citation Manager (RCM)"

I would like "Refworks Citation Manager (RCM)" to appear explicitly in Tools / Cite references in the word processor / Microsoft word, since it is surprising not to find this term, because in the videos he is mentioned

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. create an output style with sub-citations (see style Angewandte Chemie International)

We need that Refworks support the sub-citation feature for the in-text citation and the reference list. There are many styles with this feature, Angewandte Chemie International... And a lot of science journals require this formatting.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. To cite in Author(year) format, currently Refworks allows to hide the author in the default format (Author, year) and we need to write manu

To cite in Author(year) format, currently Refworks allows to hide the author in the default format (Author, year) and we need to write manually the author names outside the parenthesis.

This is error prone and time consuming.

Please bring in an option as a drop-down/tick box where "Author(year)" is also one choice. Endnote does this beautifully. See the attached illustration.

Thank you

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Include a copy prompt for your referenced quotes when you highlight them.

Include a copy prompt for your referenced quotes when you highlight them.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I would like to suggest that an upgrade be written so RefWorks can interface with Scrivener.

It would be very handy to be able to import citations into the Scrivener writing system, as opposed to just having access to Word, etc.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Specify when multiple shared first-authors or selectively modifying a given citation

Nowaday, there are more and more issues with sharing of first-authorship. In our field, it is recommended to cite all first-authors.

Here are two articles:
    1. Dohner K., Ramos-Nascimento A., Bialy D., Anderson F., Hickford-Martinez A., Rother F., Koithan T., Rudolph K., Buch A., Prank U., et al. Importin alpha1 is required for nuclear import of herpes simplex virus proteins and capsid assembly in fibroblasts and neurons. PLoS Pathog. 2018;14:e1006823. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1006823
    2. Schilling M, Bulli L, Weigang S, Graf L, Naumann S, Patzina C, Wagner V, Bauersfeld L, Goujon C, Hengel H, Halenius A, Ruzsics Z, Schaller T, Kochs…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. RCM: Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to RCM to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. View all highlights

The single most important thing I found when writing my book, and what I do desperately need for my dissertation, is a single location that lists all of my highlights from the entire project. The workflow of reviewing the documents, highlighting key ideas, viewing all the highlights, organizing them into a cohesive framework, then building it into the final product is one of the most keenly efficient ways I've ever seen to write a scholarly work, and you're one step away from being the perfect resource for that.

Please.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow multiple independent bibliographies

Add an option to start a second new bibliography within a single document. This would be ideal for writing chapters where each section needs a separate bibliography.

This would be very simple to add and would help with keeping formating consistent for other objects in documents like figures.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. RefWorks creates reference review for doctoral papers so it is already formatted, so all I have to do is input the information

ReWorks creates the outline for a reference review. So I do not have to recreate the columns and titles for each category. So all I have to do is enter the information. RefWorks also puts in information in alphabetical or chronological order.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow direct download of bibliography

Allow direct download of bibliography with the file type of choice like the old RefWorks

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?