Skip to content

Summon

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Summon, as well as the 360 and Intota administrative services, by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

308 results found

1. Sorting results by citation counts

Some databases have an option to sort results by citation counts. This function is also beneficial for Summon user. In fact, I have received requests for this function from some of end users .

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow to limit search results by word or page count, or a document length range

This should get rid of minor articles such as might appear when searching in newspapers. Also, it might help in further weeding-out book reviews. Plus, there are times users want articles that discuss an issue in-depth and they don't want a 2-page article from some journal. Conversely, I've helped users who get huge articles from journals who would like to find articles that are just 3-4 pages in length, etc.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Refine RTA for Institutional Reporsitories

At present all results for our Institutional repositry have "Full Text Online" as the RTA text. However some of these are not full text at all, just records of book chapters/articles submitted by researchers. This gives a false impression to the end user that there is always full text. It is probably too difficult to create a mapping for all the permutations, but it would be a start to allow the records that belong to the Institutional repository have their own RTA text, such as "View in the Institutional Repository".

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Delete search words when returning to top page from Home Link on result page.

When returning to the top page from the Home Link in the upper left corner of the search results screen, the current Summon is designed to carry over the search words as they are, but I would like it to be cleared each time.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Change Availability Statement of DDA titles to something other than Full Text Online

We currently have Automatic Holdings set up for E Book Central Perpetual and DDA database.
    The original set up was done quite quickly and therefore only our owned titles appeared in Summon, but students could search for DDA titles in the EBC platform.
    However EBC have sorted out the set up so now over 500,000 DDA titles are discoverable in Summon.
    This might not be a bad thing except that the availability statement tells the user we have Full Text Online.
    My proposal is that there is a way of distinguishing DDA titles from Owned titles for Automatic Holdings, and…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Remove double separator for more identifiers (hardcoded)

Remove double separator when the bib record has more same identifiers:

I.E.: for two ISBN, Summon display the separator ;,
    ISBN 0521451639;, ISBN 0521466903 (pbk.)

The display of the identifiers in the Summon Over Alma services page is hard coded by design, so it is not possible to modify the display of the delimiter in the Brief record.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Go directly from Quick Look window to journal page

Some journal records have link to the 360 Core results screen on the Quick Look window.
    It would be better if it were possible to go directly from the Quick Look window to journal page without going through 360 Core screen. Please see the atteched.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to self-sort library locations in mapping in Admin Console

After making changes in Mapping>Library Locations in the Summon Admin console, it would be helpful to have the ability to sort the library locations table by both the Location Code or the Location Name. I make changes here based on a sorted list I receive from our cataloging department. Having the screen I initially see be sorted in alphabetical order (the same way I receive my list from cataloging) lets me eyeball how much work, if any, is needed. If I could see a sorted list, I could more easily see if we have a location code or a location…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Restore the ability to search note fields with Basic Search

We request that the ability to search note fields using basic search be restored as before.
    The note fields contain many important keywords to help users encounter the materials they need.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Include a mapping field for indexed names and titles

Added entries in a MARC 7xx field should have their own Summon Field Name and be displayed in the preview and detail page. This is a basic need for music and sound recordings which often contain several titles by multiple people. Users will then be able to click on the indexed name or title in the display page and search for other resources containing it.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Changes to the default content type mapping to accommodate music

The current default MARC field mapping for web resources and computer files includes an option for MARC field 008(026). For most content types, this field position indicates that the resource has online content or is accessed electronically.
    HOWEVER
    Music scores and sound recordings have a different set of values for the 008 field. Their data elements for the 008(26) position indicate that the resource has accompanying matter, such as historical information, biographical content, or a discography.

By having the 008(26) as a default MARC mapping for all types, many music resources will get incorrectly identified as web resources or computer…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Prioritise published articles over repository content

Where there is a published version of an article in a journal and the same article in our open access repository, we would like Summon to put the published version first in the search results.

This request has come from our academics who are concerned that people are choosing the top result (the pre-publication version in our repository) and missing the published version. This is particularly a problem when the repository version is only available on request or has limited access.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Include the journal impact factor in the results display

To help our students judge the quality of the results it would be good if the journal's impact factor could be displayed in the results. Or even better, provided as a sorting or limiting option so that students could view results in those journals with the highest impact factor, in the same way they can limit by peer review. Although impact factors are not a perfect tool, it would help get the message across that not all journals are equal. This feature would probably need to be restricted to those libraries with a subscription to JCR.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Have the "search within" work for magazine or newspaper titles in the same way as it does for journal titles

We just learned that only journal titles are linked in the results records to allow for easy "search within". I would like the same functionality for magazines and newspaper titles. This would support easier classroom instruction.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Make it easier to add hyperlinks to custom panels

At present, URLs can only be added to custom panels with HTML. It would be good to have the option of using the rich text editor (or, failing that, adding a URL below the panel's main text, as is possible with Best Bets)

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. French topics be expanded to include other sources even if In other words, in the French language Summon interface, it is currently by desi

French topics be expanded to include other sources even if we use a French language Summon interface.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Expand the 500 row limit on usage reports in Summon OBI

Hello all,

I have recently had to extract some statistics from the OBI interface and found out that there is a limit of 500 rows at a time. This seems like a tiny amount of rows, given that I used to extract 50,000 - 100,000 at a time from the old stats platform. For libraries that have to extract statistics in order to do analysis, etc, it seems like a good idea to expand this limit from 500 to a much higher number.

When extracting statistics for March 2017 for one particular report (Zero Search Results), I had to extract…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to display split holdings in MARC record

We want to be able to display split holdings in the MARC record for a journal. You can add a Public Note:
    https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/bcE3CgZo1xHBGWYvso7snJ?domain=knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com
    This displays in the ejournal portal but it doesn't show in Summon or the MARC record. I've been told that it will show in Summon after the next release, but there are no plans to make it show in the MARC record. This is a problem for users when they check our catalogue for holdings.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. RestrictionsOnAccess

Make access restrictions visible (MARC field 506 / mapping "RestrictionsOnAccess").
    In mapping, MARC field 506 is assigned under RestrictionsOnAccess. Unfortunately this field is not visible in Summon. For the user it would be a big advantage if the access restrictions are shown at the hits.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make the Summon search box widget a responsive design

I want to embed the Summon search box widget on a Moodle page. Search box length is 'static'. It can be set to particular length but it is then not responsive in different screen sizes. The Summon preview pane widget is already responsive i.e. you can set length to 'fluid' and it changes width in different screens. I would like to see this also for the search box.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?