How can we improve RefWorks?

Delete the "Search Databases" option.

Please give Administrators the power to remove this option from RefWorks. We spend a great deal of time teaching students how to use our library's federated search tool. This option of choosing individual databases while in RefWorks defeats that purpose. If users want to search a particular database, that can easily be done from our library's website.

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dan O'Connell shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sally Taylor commented  · 

I disagree with "Delete the 'Search Databases' option" but would be okay giving administrators that option. I find this feature very useful when preparing short bibliographies.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I don't agree!
    Direct importing via this function from PubMed is a valuable option because downloading from PubMed and subsequently importing references is time-consuming and both students and employees struggle with this unfriendly method.

• Paul Mellinger commented  · 

I agree that 'Search Databases' should be easily customizable to allow subscribing institutions to add their own library catalogues or other subsccribed resources. I don't think adding a suggestion in the Idea Exchange to add your own library catalogue is an appropriate mechanism since it is unlikely to get enough votes from other RefWorks customers.

• René O commented  · 

I agree. Either that, or make it customizable, so our Discovery Service can be used by default.

• Jennifer commented  · 

yes! The ability to turn on or off would be welcome! Always on is confusing and doesn’t easily adapt to catalog changes.

• adam shire commented  · 

Hide "search databases" feature from users via institutional admin.

reasoning:
    Some institutions may wish to direct their users to a preferred search interface.

Feedback and Knowledge Base