RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Reference Types

List the reference types in alphabetical order. The drop down list to denote Ref Type is random and not alphabetical.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Deduplicate more than 2000 references simultaneously

Enable deduplication of larger numbers of references than is currently possible

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Change support contact on the help page to local library staff instead of Refworks support.

We would like to change support contact on the help page to our library staff instead of Refworks support.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add APA 7th edition it was released on 10/1/2019

Add APA 7th edition it was released on 10/1/2019

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. data-driven article recommendations

There is a demand for data-driven article recommendation function for RefWorks.
    Some kind of web services have already implemented this kind of function.
    One end-user said that it should be based on not only articles in user account but also references cited in those articles. I hope this idea to be considered.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  6. Offer Sensitive and Specific deduplication algorithms instead of New and Legacy

New RefWorks presently offers a choice of two deduplication algorithms that work differently. They find comparable numbers of duplicates, but they do not find the same duplicates. Users have to run both algorithms to find the maximum number of duplicates.

Users would be better off if the choices were between a high-sensitivity search (flag any duplicate picked up by either algorithm) and a high-specificity search (flag only those duplicates picked up by both algorithms).

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Navigation

Navigation side bar need to be closed and opened to have a spcace to work with my reference and see the full title.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fix MS Word Cite-n-Write plugin

MS Word Cite-n-Write plugin has many custom style related bugs and problems. Usually fields won't update values as expected when syncing and updating, and creating localizations is rather difficult. Also exporting and importing CSL styles is impossible or too complex.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Modifying the direct export function from CAIRN.INFO

We fail to export citations clicking [REFWORKS] from CAIRN.INFO even though we can export them clicking [ZOTERO (.RIS)] to RefWorks. Could you please modify the [REFWORKS] link?

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Be able to just hit Enter when using "Search Databases"

When using "Search Databases" in the basic mode, make it so I can just hit Enter instead of clicking on the magnifying glass to enter my search terms.

If the magnifying glass is necessary, either move it to the end of the search box or replace it with a blue Search box (as in the Advanced search).

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Improve to select output styles easily on WNC

For New RefWorks users it is hoped to be able to select all of the output styles from one list or make a list of favorite styles by theirselves on Write-N-Cite.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide administrator the ability to make and edit "Role" and "Institution" options.

Currently, administrator can not make and edit options for "Role" and "Institutions" which is selected when user create their accounts. This makes it inconvenient for administrator to manage their user and usage stats.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Attachments stall, never completely finish

Many users have noticed that when PDF attachments are uploaded, they take a very long time in the processing/uploading phase, and sometimes the progress bar stalls at 50% and never finishes.

110 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Importing references: Option to save to a specific folder

Users should have the option to import references directly to a specific folder.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Save to Refworks button is not functional

The save to refworks button for chrome is not functional. About 90% of the time when I try to use it and input all the information, the loading bar goes and goes (Uploading 1 of 1.......) and eventually after about a minute it says it was unable to import anything (We're sorry, we were unable to save to RefWorks. We tried, but came up empty.) So frustrating. As said before, this service is great, but quite a few basic functionalities are from from actually functioning properly. These need to be fixed. A quick import button is a huge draw of…

55 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Please make it possible to move large numbers of references from the last import page to a folder, all at once

I have just imported 7600 references that I want to put all into the same folder (working on a systematic review). I can only move small quantities at a time as the select all features is limited to the records displayed. Selecting "display 2000 records" causes refworks to crash.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. don't automatically add a bibliography!

I use google docs to write my papers and find it really annoying that RefWorks automatically adds a bibliography entry when I'm adding a reference. Footnotes are included in my institution's word count, but the bibliography is not, so when the bib is automatically added it disrupts my word count and makes it harder to quickly see where I'm up to. Is there any way I can turn this feature off and then just install the bibliography when I've finished the paper? thanks!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We will be releasing a new version of RCM later this year, which among other things will include a bibliography toggle switch.
    For Google Docs this option may be added later. Until then you can use the suggestion provided here about highlighting the relevant text.

18. Delete the "Search Databases" option.

Please give Administrators the power to remove this option from RefWorks. We spend a great deal of time teaching students how to use our library's federated search tool. This option of choosing individual databases while in RefWorks defeats that purpose. If users want to search a particular database, that can easily be done from our library's website.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Change Write-n-Cite 4.5 so that multiple authors with the same surname are distinguished by a suffix (a,b etc) on the date.

WnC 4.5 deals with authors that have the same surname differently to WnC 4.4. Our style is based on a version of Harvard and in WnC 4.4 in text citations for authors with the same surname are given the suffix of a,b etc onto the date e.g: (Smith, 2008a), (Smith, 2008b) to distinguish them. In the new version (4.5) if these authors have different initials, then that is added into the citation e.g: (A. Smith, 2008), (B. Smith, 2008).

If the citations in question have different years - then initials are added to that as well e.g: (A. Smith, 2008),…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Export references with highlight or comment

When New RefWorks User tries to print/download a reference, the highlight or comment on the PDF file will be removed. We expect that it is possible to export the reference file including highlight or comment from New RefWorks.

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base