Skip to content

RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

132 results found

1. Importing references: Option to save to a specific folder

Users should have the option to import references directly to a specific folder.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Enable users to remove an attachment (PDF or other) from a record. When an attachment is added in error, this is a problem.

Enable users to remove an attachment (PDF or other) from a record. When an attachment is added in error, this is a problem, and the user's only recourse if to delete the record and start over.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Include information about RCM within the online RefWorks interface

Currently in the Tools section of RefWorks there is only information on Write-n-Cite. Users are finding this and downloading Write-n-Cite when we are recommending they use RCM instead. Can the information on citing in Word in the Tools section be updated to explain that users can use RCM if they have Word 2016 or later?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow public sharing

Please allow public sharing of folders! Old RefWorks allowed us to create a link to a folder that we could then share with our users. This is especially important to us since this is how we share literature search results with our users - who are mostly not affiliated with universities and don't have RefWorks accounts.

39 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. RefWorks API documentation

We urgently need to see the API documentation for ProQuest RefWorks so that we can create our own export function for our library catalogue (Koha).

The 'Save to RefWorks' button does not work for Koha so we have no option other than to create our own embedded export feature. Our developers cannot do this without the API documentation.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Better usage stats

The usage data currently available to admins isn't especially informative. We can see the total number of users and the total number of library views. But there's no way to know how many of those users created accounts, viewed their library once, and then never used RefWorks again vs. how many are using it regularly.

Also, when the usage data is downloaded, the date formatting is inconsistent. For the first 12 days of a given month, the dates are formatted M/D/YY with the month and date inverted. From the 13th onward, the dates are formatted YYYY-DD-MM.

60 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I’m happy to update that with the recent June release, admins can now export a user data csv file. The data can then be sorted or filtered in excel as needed. It includes Date created and Date last active, which can be used to identify non-active users.
    More advanced usage data can still be obtained upon request from Ex Libris via your Account Manager or Client Relationship Manager.

7. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export Tags

It is essential that RefWorks export "tag" metadata in its various export formats. I have been using RefWorks for years but am discontinuing my use of your product until tag data is exportable. Tag metadata is some of the most valuable data in the library of citations that I have amassed over the past four years, and because it is not currently exportable, it feels as if ProQuest is holding my data hostage. Exportable metadata is not merely a perk to be added to your service; it is a MAJOR structural flaw that needs to be addressed.

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. allow sorting of references

When viewing references, allow sorting options by date, author(s), title, etc.

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

References may be sorted in Table View (and all other views) by Date added, Date modified, Date published, Title, Author or RefID. Ordering may be in descending or ascending order. Page display limit is 2000, but now all references are sorted.

10. Allow users to link their ProQuest MyResearch account to New RefWorks

At the moment, you can only link the two if you have an account in the old RefWorks.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    I am happy to update that this has been completed. MyResearch users who have a (new) RefWorks account can link their accounts. Refer to the release notes for more information: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/RefWorks/Release_Notes/RefWorks_Release_Information/070_2021_RefWorks_Release_Information#Integration_between_RefWorks_and_My_Research
  11. Have the option to input n.d. for an undated article

When trying to put n.d. into the "date" section of a reference, it just seems to think it is an incorrect input/date and will not allow for this. However, in the real world, quite a few sources from time to time are undated, and this puts a crimp in everything when you cannot put n.d. per APA format. Please add this functionality to either input our own term of n.d. or to select that the source is undated so it can be automatically entered into the reference. Thank you.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Make the DOI field editable

Being unable to edit the DOI field in RefWorks creates a huge disincentive, especially for APA users. RefWorks needs to update to the latest DOI format (https:) or make the field accept the updated DOI prefix. Users now have to manually edit the DOI in their document. We are getting a lot of complaints from our users.

Users also have to delete the unnecessary database URL that is imported with every citation.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Deduplication of sub-folders, or between folders

I would like to be able to de-duplicate sub-folders, for example where each sub-folder contains the results from a database search for a systematic review.

Alternatively, a user should be able to choose to de-duplicate any two or more folders in refworks.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. don't automatically add a bibliography!

I use google docs to write my papers and find it really annoying that RefWorks automatically adds a bibliography entry when I'm adding a reference. Footnotes are included in my institution's word count, but the bibliography is not, so when the bib is automatically added it disrupts my word count and makes it harder to quickly see where I'm up to. Is there any way I can turn this feature off and then just install the bibliography when I've finished the paper? thanks!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Suggestion about de-duplicate feature

After running the duplicate checker, items that result are check-marked by default. In my view, it would be better that none of them are check-marked by default. Then the user can check-mark just the ones they want to delete, without having first to deselect all the items.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please make the record count on the shared folders display the same record number to all users

Currently the record count only shows the number of citations added by that user on the shared folders. A shared folder shows "0" if I've added nothing, but might contain 50 items. It would be useful for all on a shared folder to see the same count.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Please make it possible to move large numbers of references from the last import page to a folder, all at once

I have just imported 7600 references that I want to put all into the same folder (working on a systematic review). I can only move small quantities at a time as the select all features is limited to the records displayed. Selecting "display 2000 records" causes refworks to crash.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide admin level option not to display the combined export page

Allow admins to remove the "Which version of RefWorks would you like to export to?" page from view at the institutional account level and force export into New RefWorks.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Improve to DeDuplicate of Non-English References

New RefWorks identifies some Japanese (or non-English) references as duplication even when they are not duplicated.
    Improvement of DeDuplication for Non-English language references is expected.

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base