Primo

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Primo by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Searchable field codes

I would like to suggest that Primo develops to support searchable field codes. In several databases it's possible to specify which field you want to search by writing abbreviations of field codes before the search terms in the search box. For example, AU =jonson, TI = digital photography, JN = journal of advanced nursing and so on.

I know that Advanced search can target specific fields, but it would be useful to be able to search with field codes in the primo default search box.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Incorporate DOI in the DEDUP parameters

Incorporate DOI in the DEDUP parameters could be a good option to improve the duplicated detection.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Notes in My Favourites

Classic interface Primo offered a Note bubble in eShelf, that allowed users to annotate their references. Something our students have found useful.

The new interface however, neither contains migrated eShelf Note bubble data, or alternative functionality to capture annotations.

Labels can be used as a workaround, but this isn't really the functionality our students seek.

I invite others to comment and support this idea.

Thanks

Wayne

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Separate the resource type/facet "dissertations" for PCI (and CDI...) into "dissertations" and "theses"

Some institutional repositories available through PCI contain a lot of student theses. The resource type/facet "dissertations" contains both dissertations and theses. Users searching for doctoral dissertations and using the facet dissertations end up with a search result consisting of both dissertations and theses. It is not possible to see the difference in Primo. The user have to follow the full-text link to find out what kind of resource it is. This is time-consuming and sometimes misleading.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. have citations/cited by appear at cluster level record

The Citation Trail feature is great, but I'm afraid many users will miss it because they click on an item in search results that is a merge record for a "FRBR" cluster of articles from different sources. The citation/cited by doesn't apear on those. Since the user can get to the resources from the Online tab in this record, they are not likely to click on View All Versions. This is such a cool feature it's a shame to miss it, and it's the article that gets cited, not a particular aggregator's version of it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. German search character conversion - combined vowels representing umlauted letter as well as umlauted letter

In German, an "umlaut" over a letter can be represented with the two dots over the letter, or as a vowel combination, e.g. Anfänge or Anfaenge. If the user searches any of these (or just the un-umlauted letter), we'd like them to see results that contain all the variants.

Ex Libris investigated the configurations for character conversion in searching/indexing, and suggested filing a Primo enhancement:

" it is not currently possible to convert ü into u and also into ue. This would be an enhancement request. "

Which we will do, but wanted to float it here also.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Permalinks that go to View It / Get It tabs

Enable Primo to be configured to create Permalinks that go to View It / Get It tabs to give the user quicker access to a resource.

In order to still be permanent, system administrators should be able to configure an order of preference for the permalinks between view it, get it and details to guarantee the link goes somewhere as long as the resource remains in Primo.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export search results in ISBD format

It seems that Primo does not permit (as, I.E., Aleph) the export of a search in ISBD format: doing this would be a great thing at least for our patrons

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide PCI collection batch updator (e.g. uploading .xlsx files, etc.)

PCI collections can be activated/inactivated one by one manually. It's too time-consuming and inefficient to repeat search-click-tick-back-search-again.
    Please provide a batch update function, such as, uploading an .xlsx file, etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Reserve a Study Place

We would like to give to the patrons the possibilty to reserve a study place, As a user could reserve a seat for the cinema we would like to give to the patron the possibility to reserve a seat in our library

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Update the Primo RSS feed channel link to point to NUI, not the classic interface

Although this is a small issue this is confusing whenever we dispay a Primo RSS feed through a widget to our end users . I submitted this to support and was told that I should consider posting it on Ideas Exchange instead.

To see a sample alert RSS feed from our instance: https://senecacollege-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primolibrary/libweb/newRss?rssId=1730438767&queryTerm=Concrete%20slabs%20--%20Design%20and%20construction&vid=01SENC&ver=21_4

<channel><link> goes to https://senecacollege-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?vid=01SENC

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Display "Sign in to check request options" message/link on a higher level

Display the "Sign in to check request options" message/link on a higher level than for each location? That would make it much more visible for customers, instead of having to click on individual locations drop down links.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve filtering when searching in Journals

When we try to filter by year for a journal with multiple locations, it goes to a screen that doesn't contain the filtered year. The search can end up looping back and forth, and one ends up having to click to find more items rather than getting to the year requested. Here is a document describing the situation, with screen shots:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hWFCi0Rw1-Pchdgdd3vOIt8egy-5U945G3uwO5JrHV0/edit?usp=sharing

I'm attaching the file in Word in case the shared document cannot be accessed. Thank you!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add option for user to have his/hers account deleted

With the upcoming EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) the right to be forgotten will be imperative. We suggest that an "Delete my account" button is added to the My account space in Primo.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. My Account - Previous/Historic Requests

Our previous resource sharing system allowed clients to view previous/historic Requests however Primo only allows active resource sharing Requests to be tracked and viewed. Can the functionality available for Primo's My Account Loans view please also be applied to Requests so previous/historic requests can also be viewed by clients.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add a checkbox to the Resource Sharing form to show errors when searching

Our institution feels it would be beneficial to have a checkbox on the resource sharing form that allows a patron to select if they encountered an error when searching for an article/book. Often there are articles that will not open or maybe link to the wrong item. We want the patron to be able to let the library staff know they encountered a problem and are now requesting the text via ILL. This allows library staff to easily see what information the patron was trying to access and then troubleshoot why they were not able to access it.
    This checkbox…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Enable configuration of Permalinks to open a tab that gives access to an item

Permalinks currently open into the detail tab in Primo.

Our users have expressed a preference for the permalink to open into a screen which would give them access to the item i.e. either the getit or view it tab.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add filter to eliminate items already pinned from search results

Provide a filter that would eliminate items that are already 'pinned' from the search results so that when people have many items pinned and they search on their topic, they have the ability to view only the items they haven't already pinned.
    (Our graduate students really like the pinning feature.)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cutting and Pasting Search Strategies following a PRIMO search

As a reference librarian, I regularly include a copy of a my strategy with a hypertext link to the search in an email or Google Doc. There is a nice summary of the strategy above the search in PRIMO, but I can't copy it well; it needs a lot of editing if pasted.

In my search history, it is a hyper-link and when I highlight it to copy, it tends to re-run the link.

The alternatives are too share a link (the links too searches are too long -- a short link may work) or to do a screen capture…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Create facets for more MaRC fields (Location and Format)

Right now in our Aleph-Primo system, we cannot search for books in Primo with the specificity we need and are used to in the Aleph OPAC. Location or loan period and format (within books) would help our patrons.

We regularly have patrons ask for "books they can take home," i.e. physical, non-reserve books. Filters could allow us to produce these results. We also can't easily pull up just physical books or just books from our special K-12 collection (which have a unique location and loan period).

Whether you add the ability to include any MaRC fields or just these particular…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base