Skip to content

RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

146 results found

1. Deduplication of sub-folders, or between folders

I would like to be able to de-duplicate sub-folders, for example where each sub-folder contains the results from a database search for a systematic review.

Alternatively, a user should be able to choose to de-duplicate any two or more folders in refworks.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. RefWorks Citation Manager - change default to last folder used instead of "all references"

The RefWorks Citation Manager add-in always defaults to the “All references” folder after choosing an action. For example, if I go to a different folder and choose to “Edit & Cite” for one of the citations, it then toggles back to the All references folder instead of staying in the folder I had been using. This requires me to keep re-selecting the folder where I had accumulated sources for a project.

For workflow, it would be useful to have RefWorks Citation Manager default to folder last used instead of to All References.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Writing Tools  ·  Admin →
  3. Sort by Date on Table View

We would like to sort references by data when we display RefWorks on table view.

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

References may be sorted in Table View (and all other views) by Date added, Date modified, Date published, Title, Author or RefID. Ordering may be in descending or ascending order. Page display limit is 2000, but now all references are sorted.

4. HTTP prefix inserted to DOI

I'm very happy to hear that APA 7th was updated so that the correct prefix is now inserted to the doi code (see https://ideas.exlibrisgroup.com/forums/909445/suggestions/39183304).

Now, please note that this should apply also for all other major styles! The doi has really become a standard and therefore, reference management software should definitely support the use of doi, and expressly by inserting the entire prefix https://doi.org/ as now recommended in the latest Crossref standard https://www.crossref.org/display-guidelines/

So please, perform the corresponding update also to other major output styles, such as Chicago, Harvard,Vanouver

15 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New Folder

Importing a citation from an external source, the site asks what folder. Can you put a create folder ability on the window? The window 'pull' down that lists my current folder/location. It would be helpful to have the ability to create a new folder there. Right now, you have to go out of the import window, etc.

Also, importing citations, the same window asking for the location. When you select a check box, the window doesn't auto close (which it should). To close your selection, you must mouse click out on the page. Then the window closes, but doesn't show…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Bulk edit for DOI field

Hello, would it be possible to Bulk edit also the field DOI? Especially records imported from PubMed include [doi] in this field which should not display in a bibliography.
    It would be very helpful if we could Replace [doi] with zero characters in all records at once.

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make the DOI field editable

Being unable to edit the DOI field in RefWorks creates a huge disincentive, especially for APA users. RefWorks needs to update to the latest DOI format (https:) or make the field accept the updated DOI prefix. Users now have to manually edit the DOI in their document. We are getting a lot of complaints from our users.

Users also have to delete the unnecessary database URL that is imported with every citation.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
  8. public URL: output style and search function

Sharing folders publicly I'm missing the option to choose between different (customized) output styles as well as a search function. This was available in the old version.
    For exernal users without refworks accounts the publications lists are not very comfortable to use.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  9. Ability to de-duplicate shared folders

It would be extremely useful to be able to de-duplicate shared folders, as students in my organization typically use shared folders to individually search for resources for a group project. The ability to de-duplicate the folder after the research portion of the project is over would be immediately helpful.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Importing references: Option to save to a specific folder

Users should have the option to import references directly to a specific folder.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Be able to just hit Enter when using "Search Databases"

When using "Search Databases" in the basic mode, make it so I can just hit Enter instead of clicking on the magnifying glass to enter my search terms.

If the magnifying glass is necessary, either move it to the end of the search box or replace it with a blue Search box (as in the Advanced search).

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. RCM: Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

Add a "Recent" or "Frequently Used" option to RCM to help users easily retrieve references that have been recently/frequently used.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Have the option to input n.d. for an undated article

When trying to put n.d. into the "date" section of a reference, it just seems to think it is an incorrect input/date and will not allow for this. However, in the real world, quite a few sources from time to time are undated, and this puts a crimp in everything when you cannot put n.d. per APA format. Please add this functionality to either input our own term of n.d. or to select that the source is undated so it can be automatically entered into the reference. Thank you.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. "Refworks Citation Manager (RCM)"

I would like "Refworks Citation Manager (RCM)" to appear explicitly in Tools / Cite references in the word processor / Microsoft word, since it is surprising not to find this term, because in the videos he is mentioned

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Citation style names need context

Many citation styles have many different versions (author-date, in-text, footnote) and editions (6th, 7th, 8th). The names in the list make it hard to choose which one is best. Clearer names and more information about the style, including last updated date, perhaps in a "hover" style information box, would help users. It would also be nice to be able to search/browse a list of styles instead of only having an autocomplete search box to find citation styles.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow people with whom folders are shared to move references from that folder into its subfolders

Users with the "Can Modify" permission on a shared folder should be able to move references from the main shared folder into its subfolders

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Systematic Review Views

Like the "Normal" or "Citation" view of the data, provide a Systematic Review view that just shows select fields, like Author and Abstract.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edit Tag Names

If a tag has a typo or I realize it needs more or less nuance, if would be nice to edit the names of tags instead of just creating a new tag. Creating replacement tags means redundancies or duplicates when I look at the list of tags. Thanks.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. RefWorks libguide - add information on RefWorks Citation Manager

The RefWorks Libguide only contains information on Write N Cite.

Please can information on RCM be added, in particular any instructions about software compatibility, especially with Macs?

We find this libguide essential to point students to for the current info on what is best for their computer.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  20. Diacritic characters

Fix the problem diacritic characters. It was promised last year but still é or ä etc. have to be corrected manually.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base