Work with additional batches of 50 records after the first set of 50
It's now possible to select and act upon a set of 50 records in Primo VE. However, once the first set of 50 records has been selected and saved to Favorites (or otherwise acted upon), all actions on additional records must be done manually, one at a time. After the first 50, the user gets the message, "Please edit your selection to include no more than 50 records." and then it is no longer possible to work with records in batch.
For example, often a user will perform a search in Primo VE and find a set of 150 or more records of interest to their research. Currently, the user can Choose the Top 50 results and save to Favorites; then Load More Results, page by page (10 results per page); then Deselect the original 50 selected; then begin with record 51 and individually select each record to select records 51-100, and add to Favorites; then repeat the deselect, load more results, individually select records process to add records 101-150 to Favorites; and so on. Acting upon the first set of 50 records is easy, but the manual work to capture and work with records 51-150 (etc.) is both cumbersome and challenging.
It would be great if it were possible to Choose the Next Top 50 Results to work with them in batch, as well.
Devon Galena commented
The library users I work with often do large literature searches and they need to export large batches of records. The process Stacey outlines are what I suggest to them, but the process could be much more streamlined. Doing it to get 50-150 records is ok, but these lit searches can sometimes be hundreds of records. Simpler batch selection would be nice.
Nancy Babb commented
Thanks so much, Stacey -- that works wonderfully, and effectively allows us to work in batches of 50, as desired. Fantastic!
Stacey van Groll commented
I agree that this would be a great improvement, which should have parity for both Primo VE and Primo customers on Back Office.
I have figured out a workflow to get more of the results quickly, which only takes a few minutes for a set of 150, which may be useful to you:
* Select the checkbox at the top of the screen and then Choose Top 50
* Click on the Pin icon and add a new Label for the set to distinguish it, eg 2020.3.19 Export
* Use the pagination widget (bottom left) by middle circle to go to Page 6, which will refresh the top of the results set to start at No.51
* Use the Load More Results button 4 times to load 50 more results to screen ie 50-100
* Return to top and select the top checkbox to select all 50 results on screen
* Click on the Pin icon and select the 2020.3.19 Export label
* Repeat once more for No.100-150
* Go to My Favourites > Saved Items
* Choose the label of 2020.3.19 Export to filter the list of Saved Items
* Click on the checkbox at the top of the list
* The ellipsis icon will go from greyed out to clickable - Note: Be very careful not to select the Unpin icon right beside it, as this will immediately unpin all of the items with no warning and the process would need to be repeated
* Select the chosen export option available, such as Email, Print, Export RIS, or Export Excel