Integrate the Alma Digital Viewer into the Primo UI
I see a breaks in the user experience consistency with the Alma/Primo combination with the link to digital objects in Primo. The link is opening the Alma Digital Viewer and it's look and feel is totally different from the Primo UI. Primo is the interface to the customer. Please integrate the UI into Primo and let Alma manage the objects and the metadata.
What my webmaster is missing and criticising on the Digital Viewer page:
- it delivers the wrong favicon
- link behind the Alma logo points to the actual Digital Viewer page
- link behind the institutional logo points to the actual Digital Viewer page
- language selection is offering the Alma unser interface language(s) to the end user
- the share button is only a "copy this URL" functionality
- the limited possibilities to change the UI impact all Alma screens
The main screen of the viewer is the preview window. But we run into customers complaining it does not work because we are not in control of the user's browser setup. For example Chrome in V50 had trouble to show pdf files and at the same time Firefox disabled the Acrobat plugin because of as security problem in Acrobat. Our customers don't know thit and blame us that the preview is not working.
With an integration of the viewer functionality into the Primo UI we will be in control of the user experience again.
Thank you for posting this suggestion. this is currently being analyzed by both Primo and Alma D teams – embedding the viewer withing primo Full Display for quick access and better experience
Sian Thomas commented
Is the Alma Digital Viewer the same as the Universal Viewer? We are not Alma-D customers but use the UV to deliver content from our digital repository, records from which are searched in Primo, so we'd love the ability to embed the UV!