Skip to content

RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

39 results found

1. Please negate the need for Refworks to require a new tab and login when I export new references from my Institution's database.

I would like all my exported references to default to the Refworks database I already have open at the time.
    Each time I export a new reference into Refworks, I am asked to login again which results in multiple Refworks tabs open.

61 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After investigation we determined this is not possible to change as each database sets own link targets on their own sites, resulting in RefWorks being open in separate tab. With multiple tabs, references are imported independently and are not overwritten. 

2. Import filter for ICTRP (clinical trials database)

Please could you provide an import filter for .xml files of references which can be exported from the ICTRP database:
    http://www.who.int/ictrp/en/
    It's free to use so it should be possible for you to obtain an .xml file with the tagged references on which to base an import filter. Clinical trials databases are searched a lot in health.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. can you make it as an add-in for powerpoint?

make refworks compatible with Powerpoint so that works cited can be incorporated into the presentation

36 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We won't be able to address this idea in our planned roadmap. We are committed to our users and are focusing on current goals and most requested features.

4. URGENT - New import HELP (BIBLIOSAN)

Dear ALL,
    I am writing from the San Matteo hospital (Bibliosan consortium). We are participating in an important European project on convalescent plasma and Covid-19. We are doing a bibliographic search in many databases. Many of these are not present in the Refwork import and also their export formats. Do you think it is not acceptable that formats such as .txt, .csv, .xml cannot be imported into Refworks in both new and 2.0.
    These are important sites such as EU Clinical Trials Register https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/search (attached on example) or WHO https://www.who.int/ictrp/en/.

Can you add these formats or databases? Our research…

21 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

After taking a look at the files generated by these sites, we see they are not reference files and don’t have consistent reference metadata. Therefore they cannot be imported as references. You can of course upload such a file into RefWorks in order to store it in your collection (as a single reference with the file attached, not a reference per entry in the file). To do so select “Add” → “Upload Document”.

5. Make your buttons work

It would be really nice if your importing function actually worked instead of have buttons that do nothing. I have tried to import from a .ris file in every possible why and there is no result. Also, your "Email Us" button doesn't do anything. Also, you create folder button didn't work until the third time, at which point it created 3 folders. This is a software used by universities around the globe and you have these types of issues. Please do better.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Plagarism software integration

Integrate RefWorks with Plagarism software so that students do not accidentally plagarize.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Capitalise titles when importing them

When using the (very very helpful) import citation from either google scholar or the journal page or wherever, is it possible to have the title capitalised? It might not be your doing it might be the originator. I have had to go through all the imported titles and capitalise them to comply with APA standards.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. follow local folder

I save all the PDFs of my papers on a local folder. It will be great if RefWorks could follow this folder and add the reference automatically as soon as I save it to my drive.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Citation view - journal issue number

Journal issue number is highlighted yellow if missing in Citation View. Can it be changed to yellow as some journals do not have an issue number.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for submitting this idea. The missing data indication is based on the style requirements, and cannot take the specific journal into account. Since in many cases a blank journal issue number field would indeed be considered missing data we would like users to have the yellow indication. You can still cite the reference with the missing data, the error will appear only in citation view and not in your citations and bibliography.

10. Import full date when importing newspaper articles from proquest historical newspapers database

When importing citations from Proquest historical newspaper database, only the year is imported. This isn't satisfactory for creating notes/bibliographies including newspapers, which typically require mm/dd/yyyy information.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. La bibliografia

La bibliografia al final me sale en ingles el recuperado, ademas del titulo de las referencias también en ingles

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow Articles uploaded in Dropbox to automatically download in Refworks

Before finding out about Refworks, I had all of my articles saved in Dropbox under Dissertation Articles. I transferred them all to the new RefWorks folder in my Dropbox but I don't see them uploading into my Refworks project. I have a Chromebook so I can't click and drag the articles in there. There were over 100 articles in there. It will take me a while to transfer them myself.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fix bug when importing references and choosing destination folder

There seems to be a bug in the new feature that allows you to choose a destination folder when importing a new reference. The first time I use it, it works well and I can choose from the drop-down menu. The second time (and every time after that), when I click the drop-down menu, none of my folders show up. I have to click through and import it, then assign a folder after the fact. Very frustrating because it works the first time!

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Cite Them Right 11th edn. - US states need to be written in full

Cite Them Right 11th edn. US states should be written in full.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Export from JBI (OVID) database

Export from JBI (OVID) database. The only way a citation from JBI can be properly imported is to export in RIS format. This is not intuitive.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Citation optimization

Right now, the problem for me with RefWorks is that it does far too many things automatically. At my university, we have our own rules of the citation which have to do with the rules of Dutch grammar. e.g. We write titles and subtitles as sentences, meaning that only the first letter of the first word per sentence is capitalized. The exception is of course for names, place names, historical events, etc. (each of these depending on the local spelling & grammar rules). While we want as much information as possible to be automated, it's very unhandy to automate the…

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Export RIS format from Cochrane Library without lacking of the field C3 and M3

The field of C3 and M3 is dropped out when we try to export citations by RIS format from Cochrane Library. Please improve it.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Speed up the refresh

March 23, 2019. Refresh is agonizing slow, database is practically useless in this condition. Will not import an APA reference from from Google Scholar. You need to fix this.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. importing names with 'foreign characters' such as ä, ö, å to be imported correctly.

at the moment, when there is an import of a 'foreign character' in a person's name, the letters do not get saved corrected. It would be good to include the import without manual changes. Note, this does not happen all of the time, it does happen frequently though.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide the ability to add different reference types to an existing style

There are new forms of information all the time and students are referencing increasingly varied things in their assignment. It would be useful if we could add new reference types to our institutional referencing style to cover these things.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We won't be able to address this idea in our planned roadmap. We are committed to our users and are focusing on current goals and most requested features.

To request a new reference type to be added, please enter each as a new idea to allow other users to vote.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base