RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add customizable BibTex citekey field

The ability to export Bibtex files is a key feature of RefWorks. However, the format of the citekey is terrible - too long and difficult for users to recall. Other reference managers allow customization of this field, and RefWorks should, too.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  2. allow sorting of references

When viewing references, allow sorting options by date, author(s), title, etc.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Assign custom sorting: chronologically, but in 17th ed. Chicago Style-Notes and Bib

While I want my entries to remain in Chicago Style, sometimes it is helpful to sort chronologically, but in more detail than RW currently allows which is only by year then author. I want to order the list more accurately: Year Ascending; Month Ascending; Day Ascending; Author; Title. I realize I can reorder the fields to begin with the full date, but then they are not in Chicago Style. How can I reorder the citations to be truly chronological (as I will have multiple dates within each year), without changing the Chicago Style order of each field?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show Author Address/Affiliation in the Full View

I manage an institutional database in legacy RefWorks, where it is vital, that I can see the author affiliation in reference.

Please make this field visible in New RefWorks as well.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
  5. Add RSS feeds to folders

Provide a simple RSS feed of a folder for sharing of references without the attachments.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Export to BibLaTeX format

RefWorks currently exports to BibTeX, the legacy bibliography system in TeX, but not to BibLaTeX, the modern and powerful bibliographic management in LaTeX&friends. Updating to BibLaTeX data model shouldn't be a big issue for RefWorks as it has the framework for exporting to BibTeX. Other tools like JabRef, Citavi, Zotero... have already native support for BibLaTeX.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Integrate RefWorks with Systematic Review Software

Simple, one-click exports to the a systematic review sofware like Coividence or DistillerSR

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow page display customization

I find that the "bubbly" nature of the new version makes it easy to start using, but now that I want to use it as a research tool, I would like to minimize the size of all the text, buttons, and icons so that more information can be displayed at one time. I would prefer the option to sort references and move through the platform efficiently. Make all my folders display in the same box (not separated by shared or not). In general, if it looked more like a computer files system rather than a phone app, it would allow…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ISBN/ISSN, authors can be used to retrieve auto-cite metadata for manual input

More criteria are recommended for retrieving metadata for auto-cite. ISBN, ISSN and authors are common. This will empower the auto-cite capability and save a lot of time for the researchers.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Copy and paste ready-material citation style from other Sources

Ready-made citations are provided in some databases. However, there is no 'copy and paste' function in Refworks to import them. The articles from four very popular databases cannot be grabbed by 'Save to Refworks' - Britannica School, Questia, Statista and Discovery Education Streaming. But the databases provide citations, it is ashamed that the data cannot be transferred to Refworks easily.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Combining citations when article was published in installments, in Chicago Style

When a journal article is published in installments, over the course of at least two issues, according to Chicago Style, it should appear this way:

Brown, George C., ed. “A Swedish Traveler in Early Wisconsin: The Observations of Fredrika Bremer.” Pts. 1 and 2. Wisconsin Magazine of History 61 (Summer 1978): 300–318; 62 (Autumn 1978): 41–56.

Mine turns out like this, even after I edited the “Edition” field so it could have the “Pts. 1 and 2” included:

McLaughlin, George. "Cincinnati Artists of the Munich School." Pts. 1 and 2. The American Art Review 2, no. 1, 2 (Nov., Dec.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Citations need to be black

when copy the references from the bibliography, the references are "dark grey" instead of black. It makes it troublesome to go through all the references by hand, and highlight all the references and change it to black. This is because in some formats, it includes the URL, which should be in "blue". Therefore, it is quite annoying to do so, and quite honestly, defeats the purpose of having a reference manager.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Opportunity for creating hyperlinks between in-text ctations and related references in the bibliography

As lots of reports are read as pfd-files is would be a nice help for the reader to have the possibility to jump from the in-text citation to the appropriate entry in the bibliography. Creating Hyperlinks Between In-text Citations and Related References is an option that has been seen at other reference tools

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. designing my space

It woulb be great if I could design what colour the background have, I like orange and purple better than blue.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Include resource types for Interview and Survey

Interview and Survey are 2 very common and popular resources types for student's project. However, they cannot be found on the pull down menu under 'Resources Type".

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Browser Extensions for Importing

Provide a browser add-on or extension which paints a button on database pages to easily download the citation, but also the full text.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export from JBI (OVID) database

Export from JBI (OVID) database. The only way a citation from JBI can be properly imported is to export in RIS format. This is not intuitive.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Remove formating on import

Cut and pasted or imported html to be stripped before adding to RefWorks. This would separate the content from it's styling and allow the selected citation style to work correctly.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Refworks lite

Refworks lite simplified interface aimed at highs school students Years 7 to 10 with simplified lead through and limited citation choices

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base