Skip to content

RefWorks

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve RefWorks by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines.
For Support related issues please use this form.
Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

213 results found

1. Please bring back "My List" to the new RefWorks

Please bring back the "My List" function from legacy RefWorks. I realize you can create reference lists from folders or projects or if all the references you need appear on a single page (e.g., what you've just imported). But, what is missing is a way to create a temporary list of references you are working with without having to put them into another folder or project. For example, if you've written your paper and just need to add those last handful of references, there is no longer an efficient way to create that list while navigating between different pages and…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. View all highlights

The single most important thing I found when writing my book, and what I do desperately need for my dissertation, is a single location that lists all of my highlights from the entire project. The workflow of reviewing the documents, highlighting key ideas, viewing all the highlights, organizing them into a cohesive framework, then building it into the final product is one of the most keenly efficient ways I've ever seen to write a scholarly work, and you're one step away from being the perfect resource for that.

Please.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. In publicly Shared Folders, and public URL allow native citation style rather than CSL or, even better, allow some level of customization of

In publicly Shared Folders, and especially folders shared via public URL, allow native citation style rather than CSL or, even better, allow some level of customization of output style and display.

The current output style and display is nearly unusable--confusing for both the end user and librarians.

Please see case #00874868 for full explanation of the issue.

Video files attached

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Import "Google Scholar" as source

Seeing references imported from Google Scholar, its "Source Name" field is "Google". Is it possible to change it to "Google Scholar"?

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Move the URL field to the top of the citation record preview screen

Currently, the link resolver "Check for Full Text" field appears at the very top of the citation record preview screen. However, the URL field appears near the bottom of a citation preview record. For certain publication types, especially grey literature, the link resolver links perform poorly. It would be ideal if the URL field appeared near the top of the record with the link resolver field to ensure end users discover it.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. An localized icon image for OpenURLs (like Legacy RefWorks has)

Currently each citation in legacy RefWorks can be configured to include the institution's unique image in place of the OpenURL link. Not sure why this is not an option in New RefWorks

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Import numerous references that are hard-keyed into a Word document.

Import numerous references that are hard keyed into a Word document.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Save to RefWorks Design Improvements

For the love of all that is holy, please create an option to minimize the 'Save to RefWorks' pop-up window when you're trying to input a reference. When Save to RefWorks can't manage to input most of the information itself (85% of the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), you have to manually input, but the giant RefWorks window blocks half of the article information that you need to input from view

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copy and Paste references

It would be great if Refworks can allow copy and paste of other references to their platform so they can choose the type of style they prefer rather than only export, import and create a new ideology. Paste a reference in a box where it tells you what style it is, and which one do you prefer. Then, make your choice if APA, HAVARD whatsoever.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Provide a RefWorks citation format that will be able to be used by any software

It would be very useful if there was a way to have a RefWorks citation format for every reference so that we can use them in any software besides MS Word (e.g. MS Powerpoint, Obsidian, Notepad).

Example: I want to organize my research ideas in Obsidian software. Next to each idea, I want to keep (shortly) the references that are related to each idea as kept in Refworks. I don't mind about the citation style. All I want, is a short unique Refworks citation of my references that will link to the actual reference to the Refworks library.

Then, when…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Capture PMID from CINAHL records upon import

EBSCO has isolated the PMID in as a piece of data in their CINAHL records; however, this doesn’t appear to be captured in an import into RefWorks. Please capture this item when available in CINAHL records.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Problems with entering date

When full dates are entered in long date format (i.e. February 3, 2018), a comma is being added after the day number in the APA Citation view (i.e. 2018, Feb 3,). However, it should be displayed without the final comma (i.e. 2018, Feb 3). Entering the date without a comma (i.e. February 3 2018) into the 'Publish Date' field seems to correct the issue, but does not match the format of date as suggested by the in-field tip (i.e. "Mar 12, 2015" or "2015").

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. allow to search for citation using the URL field - not just the title field.

When a user is looking to manually build a citation, allow the lightening bolt tool to operate on the URL field rather than title of the document field. This is the standard in other Citation builders and students are often looking for it.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Technical standards currently uses the default reference type. We would prefer it to use Cite Them Right's Harvard specification

Cite Them Right defines it as:

Name of authorising organisation (Year of publication) Number and title of standard. Place of publication: publisher OR Available at: URL (Accessed: date).

(see attached screenshot for italics)

This could also be applied to Summon's Harvard output style which is also deficient. For example, on Summon the Harvard output style cites:
    ASTM International 2017, Standard Practice for Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete. This omits the parentheses around the year, and there is no metadata for: Place of publication: publisher. Similarly, for a BS EN ISO standard, the output is also wonky -- it should display British…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Duplicate or copy a project

It would be great to be able to duplicate or make a copy of a project. That way, if you share it or make any changes, you can make a copy for sharing or editing and save the original project, which includes not just the records, but the folder structure, in case you make mistakes or need to go back to the original. Exporting the citations does not save the folder structure or save all the changes you've made specifically in RefWorks to a citation.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ignore punctuation in bibliography

The ordering of titles surrounded by inverted commas is separate to those titles that do not have inverted commas, in a bibliography.
    Is it possible to ignore the inverted commas so that all titles are listed alphabetically, regardless of punctuation?

I have tried ediing the 'title' field in the Bibliography settings but I don't see any option to ignore punctuation here.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add NCBI abbreviations for AMA 11th edition

Abbreviation of journals in accordance with NCBI https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog/journals/ is inconsistent for AMA 11th edition format. Sometimes the generated citations have abbreviated titles and other times they don't.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. RefWorks Statistics - referencing/citation style being used

If possible please include stats on what referencing/citation style our users are using in refworks (and if possible in WnC).

Reasons : to help us have a better idea of what our users are actually using and catch those areas using other styles that we are aware of.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base