Skip to content

Alma

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Alma by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

210 results found

1. MARC field 788 should be searchable

The MARC field 788 ("Parallel Description in Another Language of Cataloging") is used by Library Archives Canada to store information about how to link to record numbers of alternate languages (ie, French to English, and vice versa). This information goes into the $$w (Record number) field.

Having this field searchable would assist in finding records for the same things in different languages.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make merge rule actions fully interchangeable with all merge conditions

Currently, merge actions (add, remove, replace) only operate with specific conditional statements. For example, ADD when CONTAINS or REPLACE when DOES NOT CONTAIN. This enhancement should add the ability to use all action words with any valid conditional statement, permitting uses such as ADD when DOES NOT CONTAIN or REPLACE when CONTAINS.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Authority control: ability to exclude certain fields and subfields from authority control. Prsence of 700 $i fails the link to auth file.

Presence of 700 $i in the bib record causes the heading not to link to the authority record and it reports as an unlinked heading, when in fact the rest of the 700 field does have an existing authority record.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Role for adding normalizations processes

Cataloging staff often need to create normalization or indication rules to edit groups of records. They can create these in the Medatdata Editor but they cannot use them on sets of records until they are added as a process/task in the resources metadata configuration area.

The ability to add processes is limited to the highest role of cataloger administrator which also allows configuration permissions.

Include the ability to add normalization and indication rule processes to the cataloger manager role to allow more flexibility to do global changes on Marc records.

Catalog managers need to add their own rules without giving…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. DB-category-job on all bibliographic records

In Alma there is a job that based on a specified marc-field builds up a hierarchy of categories for the A-Z Database search in Primo.

This works fine, but the job is limited to a certian subset of records only.

From Ex Libris:
    "The Database Categories File job runs for the benefit of Primo database search, and is therefore relevant only for bib records linked to databases." https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Product_Documentation/010Alma_Online_Help_(English)/040Resource_Management/050Inventory/020Managing_Electronic_Resources#Working_with_Database_Type_Electronic_Collections

I can understand why it was designed like this, but in our consortia we see that the institutions would like to include other records in the A-Z-list as well. Records that are…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show more information about how and where normalization rules are being used

• A flag that indicates if a rule has been turned into a norm process.
    • At the bottom of the current Metadata Editor, with the tabs, add a tab that shows import profiles the process is used in if the rule has been turned into a process.
    6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Validation exception based on conditions in linked authority records

There are certain types of authority records, such as facets, that should not be utilized in bibliographic records. MARC 21 Authority offers some options for supporting that, such as 008/15="b" ("Headings are not appropriate for use as a subject access entry in bibliographic records") and 008/09="b" ("100-15X field contains an unestablished heading that is not authorized for use as the element in an access point in a bibliographic record").

However, when authorizing authority fields in the Alma Metadata Editor, there does not seem to be a way to prevent such records to be authorized.

One way to prevent this would…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Don't Close My Bib

Hello,

when I add a Holdings Record to a bibliographic record I click "save and release" when I'm done working with the new holdings record. This then takes me back to a blank search screen, so then I have to search again for the bibliographic record I was working on. It would be helpful if there was a way to go back to bibliographic record I was working on.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Assigning Authority Control Tasks to Specific Staff Members

At the end of each month, I go into the Authority Control Task List, dismiss headings I don’t want my staff to work on, and export the other headings to an Excel spreadsheet, which we work off directly.

It would be helpful if there was a way to assign tasks to my staff directly and have it appear in the general task menu on the Alma homepage. For example, if there were 200 headings to update, and I wanted to split them between two staff members, I could select the first 100 in the Authority Control Task List and assign…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Restrict the ability to edit local templates

On several occasions, people have edited our local templates to catalogue a book instead of copying the template and using it as a template. It would be great if we could restrict the ability to edit local templates (to Catalog Administrator, perhaps?).

If this is not possible, could we have the ability to roll a template back to a previous version, like we can with bibliographic records?

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Export authority record from connexion client to Alma

We need the ability to export records from the OCLC connexion to Alma.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix split editor display when 856 field is present

I have noticed that when there is a really long URL in the 856 field on a bibliographic record, the right pane in split editor view does not display correctly. You have to pull the left pane over as far as you can to see the contents of the right pane. Even after moving the left pane over you still cannot see the right pane very well. This makes editing a holdings record while looking at the bibliographic record very difficult. Please see the attached image "8561" to see how the record appears in split view before moving the

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Missing subfields in authority records

Some of the subfields are missing from the authorities in Alma - in particular subfields for 100 and 700 MARC tags are f, k, l, m, n, o, p, r, s, t
    Please include all subfields that can be used in authorities

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. External Authority Record Search

Please add a way to search externally for authority records. At present if there are no institutional or community records that can be used, we have to go outside of Alma to find a record, and then find a way to get it into Alma. Then go back into Alma to edit or work with it.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. ability to customize xsl to better display creator names

We would like to customize our display so that our imported data in Alma-D can include commas between the first and last name of creators, and possibly other styling. Currently our creators display as "David Paul Photographer" when we'd rather they displayed as "David, Paul (Photographer)" which is what we had in our old, Islandora, system. Apparently we need to be able to customize XSL to do this.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Shortcut keys to expand drop-down lists in new MD Editor

Please add the shortcut keys for each tab in the menu bar of the records area.
    In the old MD Editor, shortcut keys Alt+F, Alt+E and Alt+T are for expanding the drop-down lists of File, Edit and Tools respectively. They are very important shortcut keys in the the AutoHotKey/Macro scripts. But there are no such shortcut keys in the new MD Editor.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Stop bib page from jumping

When editing different fields within a bib record, the page inexplicably jumps and scrolls, causing catalogers to lose their place or mistype. This seems to be especially true at the bottom of longer records, when it will auto-scroll towards the top when the cataloger is still trying to edit fields near the end of the record. Please allow for the page to be stationary unless catalogers physically scroll the page.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to search for duplicate varying text in two different Marc fields

It looks to be possible to find duplicate fixed text values within subfields of the same MARC field (and possibly between two MARC fields), but there doesn't seem to be a way to build a rule that would identify two matching fields for varying text by record, for example, finding a record that had the OCLC number duplicated in another field (but which the number would obviously vary title by title). The asterisk only seems to work if you have some kind of fixed piece shared among records and not if the whole field varies.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. normalization rules

Expand language for rules. The few terms, like removeField or prefix, just permit poor operations.
    Maybe the use of another language like c++, basic or java can help.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a shortcut for the copyright character in the metadata editor.

Add a shortcut for the copyright character in the metadata editor.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base