Alma

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Alma by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Searching ISBN and Multimatch handling of ISBN-matches

I think perhaps searching ISBN may be a little too sensitive. When I search ISBN 978 -82-93206-05-7 I get no result (no records found). When I remove the space and search this: 978-82-93206-05-7 I get one record.

When importing files (Repository - Import from file) and a record in the file has spaces in stead of hyphens or spaces in addition to hyphens, I get many multimatches as it seems to be a match for all ISBNs that start with the part of the ISBN before the space, but not for the real match. In other words, I get i.e.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
  2. Update the Email address

I wish to update the student email address (appr 3000 records) in one time. I am having in excel format. Currently not supporting need to update one by one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Publication Year facet values

When you do title searches in Alma, you can narrow the results with the Publication Year facet. But the date range values Alma returns for that facet are arbitrary looking, unpredictable, and bear no obvious relationship to the result set. And if you then select any of the returned multi-year values, Alma will break it down into more granular--but still arbitrary--ranges.

I suggest that Alma return initial values grouped by decade (e.g., 1910-1919, 1920-1929) and then expand those into individual years (e.g., 1910, 1911, 1912...). This is also basically arbitrary, but at least it would be familiar and consistent across…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. claim

Flag Items not to be deleted

We have a number of resources that need to be retained in our collection. Unfortunately these are sometimes accidentally deleted because there is no system alert not to. It would be great if we could somehow flag these items in Alma so that staff are alerted not to delete the items e.g. during weeding/withdrawal processes. Ideally Alma would prevent these items from being deleted, unless by a staff user with higher privileges.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Include a DELETE Function for Patron Demand Driven Worflow

Currently Patron Driven workflow is managed by the PDA function under Acquisitions. The PDA function allows for Repository Import, where the corpus titles are uploaded for discovery. The PDA also enables order records to be uploaded, which will overlay the discovery record. However, what the PDA function needs is a DELETION function, where records of titles no longer carried by vendor for the PDA can be run through this function, and have it deleted from the PDA corpus set, bypassing the titles that have been paid for.
    Currently, titles which have been marked for deletion by PDA vendors have to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. About the default inventory when view inventory in Metadata Editor

When I click "view inventory" in Metadata Editor, if there are print holdings and electronic portfolios connected with the bib, the default inventory show the electronic portfolios.

I think the deault inventory showed should be holdings. Because we seldom edit portfolios in metadata editory.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add indicators to IZ/NZ/CZ tabs in Repository Search results to show presence of bib records and local holdings

It would save time in cataloging, acquisitions, ILL, and reference if the IZ/NZ/CZ tabs included some sort of indication that there are bib records matching the search and, where applicable, local holdings attached to those records.

My thought is a simple count added after the tab title -- local holdings / bibs.

Additionally it would be helpful to shade or highlight the active tab, making it very quick to recognize in which zone you are working.

Finally, on NZ and CZ results lists, it would be helpful 1) highlight the local holdings so that they stand out more obviously in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Resources Request Monitoring - titles not updated

We discovered than once an title gets added to the Resources Request Monitoring area, if the bibliographic record gets updated, the title in the Resources Request Monitoring area does NOT get updated. This was reported to Ex Libris - case #00603981 - and we were told the following: "A title--as it appears in 'Resource Request Monitoring' search results--will not receive an update if its 245 is changed. In other words, as soon as a request receives a 'Request ID', the display title associated with that request is fixed, even after making changes to the associated bib in the MD editor."…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 1-Click Button to View Shelf List in Primo FROM ALMA

Since the shelf list in the metadata editor is very difficult to use and see in the tiny quarter screen of space allotted to it, it would be helpful if there was simply a button one could press to view the call number shelf list in Primo (the primo 'Browse by LC call number" page) while one was cataloging in Alma.

Ideally, the record searched for would not display as the very first result, but instead a few lines down from the top, so that it would be very easy to compare the call number to both the records before…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Reminders for Sets

The Reminders for Bibliographic Records functionality premiered in the November Alma release is already proving most useful (in such instances as applying reminders to check things like eBook records when their portfolios expire X months or years in the future).

What would be at least as useful, however, is if this functionality were to be made available for Sets as well, e.g. when a Set reaches a specific number of months or years of age, a reminder can be set up requesting the owner to check whether it's still required and to consider deleting it.

Effective housekeeping of Sets (and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Prevent Alma from showing "not listed" alerts against correct values in ALL 049 subfields

The January 2016 Alma Resolved Issues spreadsheet advises that:

'In the MD Editor: [...] For local fields (9xx, x9x, xx9) the alert "The field is not listed in profile" appeared; it no longer appears. [...]'

Four years on, however, it still does in places, perhaps most noticeably in the 049 field.

E.g. 049 subfields $$j and $$k are used extensively by those record providers available to Alma users via Search Resources, and the contents of those subfields are held to be completely accurate. However, on saving any record which contains them, the “Subfield … is not listed in profile for…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Maybe Search indexes is not updated? I want 773 $$t indexed as Title.

I often check this Help site https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/ProductDocumentation/AlmaOnlineHelp%28English%29/ResourceManagement/020UsingtheRepositorySearch/Search_Indexes
    to check how things are indexed. It looks like 773 $t is indexed as Content related data. Shouldn't it be indexed as Title? I suspect that it is indexed as title, but the information in Search indexes is not correct? Search indexes is very useful, and I would appreciate it updated.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Combined IZ + NZ bib headings browsing

Please open an option to do a combined IZ + NZ bib headings browsing. Currently we have to choose browse in Institution or Network. But this really misses the point of a browsing -- we want to browse all the NZ + IZ records, and don't want to separate things into pieces.

Please also consider opening combined browsing for each heading type category -- e.g. within subjects, open an option for combined subject browsing, rather than currently have separate sub-category e.g. chronological, topical etc. The current browsing options are too tedious, and we do appreciate you to open more combined…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Flag required in Itemised Sets for adding other items at the same holding

The ability in the Itemised Set facility to add contents from a file to a Set is useful, but we feel it could be made more useful still.

We require something whereby, having read the contents of a list of item barcodes, Alma will find any other items based at the same holding as a given item on the list and add those to the Itemised Set as well.

There is a very definite need for this functionality for any Alma user tasked with working through Sets created from lists of item barcodes in order to identify items requiring withdrawal.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. MD Editor restrict release

We'd like for the ability to release records locked by another staffer to be limited to the Cataloger Extended or Cataloger Manager role, to ensure that not everyone can release records that others may be working on, at will.

Thank you,
    Erika Quintana

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. make OCLC delimiter (double dagger (ǂ)) invalid in Alma

Please make the OCLC delimiter (double dagger (ǂ)) an invalid character in Alma. We all copy and paste information from Connexion. Often, people forget to change the double dagger to the double $$. Please make the double dagger invalid, and require the cataloger to replace with the proper character ($$) before they save the record. Other systems like Voyager make the cataloger replace the double dagger delimiter before they can save the record.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Retain preferences in manage sets screen

When you select either private or public sets, retain the preference for the duration of the session and do not routinely default back to private. Having to re-select public repeatedly is just more repetitive clicking.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Export URL with FTP

You can export the URL of Portfolios via Alma Admin -> Resource Management -> REsource configuration -> Configuration Menu -> Record Export -> Export URL
    But you can not do this in a sort of batch job to feed your proxy with this URL automaticly (Case 223210)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. In advanced searching in Alma NZ for physical titles, have results say: Advanced searching not performed for physical materials in NZ.

In advanced searching in Alma NZ for physical titles, have results say: Advanced searching not performed for physical materials in NZ Currently, results from this impossible search only indicate "No records were found," making it look like the NZ does not have anything, when in fact there may be many. Perhaps search options for advance searching in the NZ should not allow physical titles as a search option. Example: condition title= Wyoming, and condition material type= Map in the NZ results in nothing, but there are over 2k hits if searching All titles instead of Physical titles, some of which…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base