How can we improve Primo?

Add an option to "expand my results" from the "no records found" page

Currently the "no records found" page doesn't provide an option to "expand my results". Since the default behavior is to search without that option, a properly formed query for an existing item outside our collections yields the discouraging no results page. The message provides suggestions like "check your spelling." Please provide an option to try the search again with "expand my results". Ideally, Primo would know ahead of time if such an expansion would yield results and would only offer it if that was the case.

70 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gary KaplanGary Kaplan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gary KaplanGary Kaplan commented  · 

Yes! This would help so much. We don't want to flood folks with stuff we don't have by default, but we're answering a lot of questions from people who paste in a citation and get zero results. Trying to explain how to expand the results gracefully is a challenge.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Really good idea, sorely miss something like this

• Kathy NortonKathy Norton commented  · 

Offering the option at the point of need. Great idea!

• Peta HPeta H commented  · 

Yes please. We don't want to flood results by having expand on by default, but in cases where no results have been found in our collection this would clearly be useful to searchers.

• T MitchellT Mitchell commented  · 

Please find the option to extend or expand citation searches. Having to tell users to "tick the box" in the right hand of the search page is now getting a little silly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base