How can we improve Alma?

Make more sort fields available in Physical Item Sort Routines

Functionality wanted:
Make more sort fields available in the Physical Item Sort Routines, to include all enumeration and chronology fields, as well as receiving date and material type. Retain sort routine selection in all areas of Alma, including when receiving.

Use case: Currently the limited options available in the Physical Item Sort Routines do not allow for serial items with no volume or number to be displayed in correct chronological order. Instead they sort alphabetically by month. Serial items published daily do not sort in correct chronological order, because the chronology field J is not an option in the Physical Item Sort Routines. Multi-volume sets need to be sorted differently than serials. Un-received serial items (predictions) may need to be sorted differently than received serial items. Including more fields in the Physical Item Sort Routines, specifically chronology J, receiving date, and material type, would help solve this problem.

104 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Karen Spence shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shirleanne Ackerman Gahan commented  · 

"Retain sort routine selection in all areas of Alma, including when receiving."

YES, this would be extremely helpful!

Receiving new items from the Continuous items tab: Each time I click "Manage Items" from the "Receive new materials" page, I would like the issues sorted by Description. I want to make the sort routine "stick" as I go from title to title. Currently, the sort routine defaults to "Library/Location"

From a repository search (for physical titles), when clicking on "Items" I want my sort routine to "stick" for any title unless I change it.

• Mary Grenci commented  · 

What is really needed is to enable manual sorting of physical items within a particular location, so that the individual user can decide what order the items need to be in. Without this, there will always be cases where items sort out of order. For instance, currently (and with the proposed change) items with the designator "new ser. v." will sort before items with the designator "v.". Items with designator "no." always will sort before items with designator "v.", regardless of whether this is chronologically correct. Any sort routine that is totally automated will result in incorrect sorting in some cases.

Feedback and Knowledge Base