Skip to content

Alma

Your feedback matters to us. Help us improve Alma by telling us what you’d like to see using the message areas below. You can also can support something already posted.

We would love to be able to respond to every idea that is submitted, but this is not feasible. We are, however, committed to responding to the most popular ideas—those that have received the most points.

For more information please review our FAQ and guidelines. Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

260 results found

1. Reminders for Sets

The Reminders for Bibliographic Records functionality premiered in the November Alma release is already proving most useful (in such instances as applying reminders to check things like eBook records when their portfolios expire X months or years in the future).

What would be at least as useful, however, is if this functionality were to be made available for Sets as well, e.g. when a Set reaches a specific number of months or years of age, a reminder can be set up requesting the owner to check whether it's still required and to consider deleting it.

Effective housekeeping of Sets (and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Flag required in Itemised Sets for adding other items at the same holding

The ability in the Itemised Set facility to add contents from a file to a Set is useful, but we feel it could be made more useful still.

We require something whereby, having read the contents of a list of item barcodes, Alma will find any other items based at the same holding as a given item on the list and add those to the Itemised Set as well.

There is a very definite need for this functionality for any Alma user tasked with working through Sets created from lists of item barcodes in order to identify items requiring withdrawal.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1-Click Button to View Shelf List in Primo FROM ALMA

Since the shelf list in the metadata editor is very difficult to use and see in the tiny quarter screen of space allotted to it, it would be helpful if there was simply a button one could press to view the call number shelf list in Primo (the primo 'Browse by LC call number" page) while one was cataloging in Alma.

Ideally, the record searched for would not display as the very first result, but instead a few lines down from the top, so that it would be very easy to compare the call number to both the records before…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Include a DELETE Function for Patron Demand Driven Worflow

Currently Patron Driven workflow is managed by the PDA function under Acquisitions. The PDA function allows for Repository Import, where the corpus titles are uploaded for discovery. The PDA also enables order records to be uploaded, which will overlay the discovery record. However, what the PDA function needs is a DELETION function, where records of titles no longer carried by vendor for the PDA can be run through this function, and have it deleted from the PDA corpus set, bypassing the titles that have been paid for.
    Currently, titles which have been marked for deletion by PDA vendors have to…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Package level order info required in Repository Search > Other details

It would be helpful if, when clicking on the Other details link on a particular Repository Search result title which shows no order information, it would indicate whether there was a related order at package level.

If we want to know whether we are entitled to the access, it may look at first as if we aren't because there's no order attached. However, the order may be at package level.

We are relaxed about the wording and place of that indication within the Other details balloon - maybe something like "Package Level Order" underneath "Requests/Work orders"?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add indication of where I am browsing at Browse bib headings

The user often does not know where s/he was browsing at Browse bib headings after moving away from the left pane. Could EXL add an indication e.g. by a different color to the current bib heading on the left pane to remind the user?

Also it'd be helpful to show the call number on the right pane to save the time to click into the record to read the call number.

For EXL people: Please read Salesforce case # 00527082 for more details.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. About the default inventory when view inventory in Metadata Editor

When I click "view inventory" in Metadata Editor, if there are print holdings and electronic portfolios connected with the bib, the default inventory show the electronic portfolios.

I think the deault inventory showed should be holdings. Because we seldom edit portfolios in metadata editory.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Restrict access by data field

I would like the ability to restrict access to certain data fields to only certain roles. The cataloging roles seem to be a fairly blunt tool for restricting access. If we could protect certain fields from all but catalog administrators for example, it could lead to greater data integrity without severely compromising the productivity of other cataloger roles.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. F3 lookup for 3XX Authority Record Control Fields

In the June 2019 release, a new feature was added to MD Editor to look up 3xx MARC fields in an authority record against certain other place names or subject names from the SAME authority vocabulary.

I'd like to suggest Ex Libris to add a function to allow F3 lookup of 3xx MARC fields against certain place names, corporate names, personal names, and subject names from another authority vocab. This is because we want to borrow the standard of Library of Congress's established place names, corporate names, personal names, and subject names, when we create our own authority vocabulary.

For…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add "View" action for publishing profiles

When creating a new publishing profiles, it can be helpful to look at other profiles for guidance. Currently, the only option to view another profile is to select Edit from the actions menu. If the user is trying to edit a profile and wants to view another one at the same time, the only practical way to do that is to open a different browser and view the profile there. Having two profiles open in the same browser can have negative consequences, as we learned at Oklahoma State-Stillwater, when two publishing profiles were merged and EXL had to help us…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Prevent Alma from showing "not listed" alerts against correct values in ALL 049 subfields

The January 2016 Alma Resolved Issues spreadsheet advises that:

'In the MD Editor: [...] For local fields (9xx, x9x, xx9) the alert "The field is not listed in profile" appeared; it no longer appears. [...]'

Four years on, however, it still does in places, perhaps most noticeably in the 049 field.

E.g. 049 subfields $$j and $$k are used extensively by those record providers available to Alma users via Search Resources, and the contents of those subfields are held to be completely accurate. However, on saving any record which contains them, the “Subfield … is not listed in profile for…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Publication Year facet values

When you do title searches in Alma, you can narrow the results with the Publication Year facet. But the date range values Alma returns for that facet are arbitrary looking, unpredictable, and bear no obvious relationship to the result set. And if you then select any of the returned multi-year values, Alma will break it down into more granular--but still arbitrary--ranges.

I suggest that Alma return initial values grouped by decade (e.g., 1910-1919, 1920-1929) and then expand those into individual years (e.g., 1910, 1911, 1912...). This is also basically arbitrary, but at least it would be familiar and consistent across…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. batch deletion marc fields

After I define a set based on invalid URLs I would like to delete only those invalid URLs from their bib records. There is a job to delete all vendor 856 fields but many records have both valid for me and invalid for me 856 fields. For example if I define a set using find in electronic location note Stanford* I have to manually go through each record to delete the Stanford* links because I am not Stanford. If I could export the URLs, view them, and then automatically have Alma remove them from their respective bib records it would…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow "not" in subject authorities searches

It would be helpful to be able to include NOT in subject authority searches. This would be particularly helpful when eliminating terms containing certain subdivisions.

For example, I searched the keywords "children" and "religious" and I know that I don't want anything with the subdivisions "religious life" or "religious aspects", so being able to add NOT "life" or "aspects" would narrow my results down to something more manageable than the 150ish that I got.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Untraced references showing as valid subject headings

Authority records with 008/09 of "b" shouldn't be showing as authorized headings. These are untraced references not authorized headings. (I found this on the record with LCCN sh 85038380)

Form https://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad008.html :
    b - Untraced reference
    100-15X field contains an unestablished heading that is not authorized for use as the element in an access point in a bibliographic record. The heading is not traced as a 4XX See From Tracing field in any other authority record. The reference record contains a Complex See Reference (260) or a General Explanatory Reference (666) field to guide the user to established heading(s).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Course Loader integration to process files from users' local drives

With the current bulk operations functionality for courses (course loader), an SFTP server is required for hosting files.

The SFTP requirement is a hurdle for many libraries, as it requires additional infrastructure (SFTP host), as well as additional knowledge (FTP user tools) not always available on staff.

We would like to see the ability to upload course loader files for import from a local drive, similarly to how other workflows in Alma also support local file processing (portfolio loader, etc).

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add Publisher attribute to Search External Resources

We would like to be able to search the Japanese academic common catalog (NACSIS) by Publisher name in Search External Resources, but the corresponding use attribute (1018) is not currently supported. This would be very useful when searching by title or keywords, to differentiate between similar results. We think that this addition would be useful with other external resources too.

https://www.nii.ac.jp/CAT-ILL/about/infocat/z3950/z3950_gw_bib1-use.html

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Search External Resources - Review Existing Ideas & Redesign Z39.50 Search & Refine Options

I have just checked out the search and refine options available via the Jisc Cataloguing Hub Web interface. It allows a much richer search experience than accessing the same data via the Z39.50 interface via Alma Search External Resources. As colleagues have posted a number of ideas around reviewing and enhancing the search options would it be possible to combine these ideas and carry out a general review of how we can search and refine the results?
    I attach a screenshot showing the options in the Cataloguing Hub.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add alphabetic title search field to the external databases search fields in Alma

when searching external databases in order to import a relevant record i notice there are many search fields by words but non of them is by alphabetic order. Especially missing a search field by alphabetic title.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base